Cheap Bastard Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread say it the best, I was in my LDS and a guy pulled up in his fair new convertible mercedes and ask the owner of the store if he had any use scuba equiment (Reg & BC) for sale then turn around and ask about a warranty what a cheap person. Almost everybody wants scuba to be free but the don't want to give their time or product away for free.

Ever heard anyone at a Gas station complaining about the price of gas with a $8 a gallon bottle of water in their hand? ($1 a Pint, 8 pints in a gallon)
Gee, I buy my water at Costco where it is less than $5 for 32 pint bottles.

$5/32 = $0.16 per bottle
$0.16 x 8 = $1.28 per gallon

I have 2 bike's insured here right now, one mountain bike and one road bike. I have them insured for a combined $12 000, and my road bike is mid range at $4000.
I recently did an inventory of my dive equipment for insurance purposes. Bottom line replacement value was $18,000.

This thread say it the best, I was in my LDS and a guy pulled up in his fair new convertible mercedes and ask the owner of the store if he had any use scuba equiment (Reg & BC) for sale then turn around and ask about a warranty what a cheap person. Almost everybody wants scuba to be free but the don't want to give their time or product away for free.

Many expensive cars are leased with the leases written off as business expenses.

Gee, I buy my water at Costco where it is less than $5 for 32 pint bottles.

$5/32 = $0.16 per bottle
$0.16 x 8 = $1.28 per gallon

I get my water from the tap. I drink about 1/2 a gallon of tap water a day.

Water purity? Dude, you swim in the ocean for fun.

The only thing funnier than listening to someone complain about the cost of a hobby they choose to do. . . Is watching people complain about people that complain about the cost of a hobby they choose to do!:kiss2:

I know this is an old thread and I have not read most of the comments but I think you should probably rethink your post or at least the sports that you included to compare against. Some of these are way less expensive that outfitting yourself with everything (top of the line) scuba. I have $3500 in UW camera stuff alone and I went "cheap" on that. I agree that divers like to complain about the prices paid, but that is 100% true of everywhere. Whiners are everywhere you look.

What is it about scuba diving that brings the cheap bastards out of the woodwork?:365:

Compare diving to a few other recreational sports:

Biking. Either road or mountain biking.
Golf
Skiing/snowboarding
Motorcycling/Road/dirt/ATV
Snowmobiling
Waterskiing/wakeboarding
Horseback riding
Kayaking
Hunting

It is far less expensive to be outfitted with high end scuba diving equipment than it is to be similarily outfitted with equipment for any of the above sports. I seldom hear people griping about the cost of those other sports.

Why do people get so uptight about the inherent costs associated with diving? :cussing:
People are almost violent when it comes to how much they HAD to pay for Nitrox or a new wetsuit, or for a logbook! Everyone is trying to rip them off. The equipment and education associated with diving are designed to keep you alive and help with a comfortable and enjoyable experience.:cloud9:
Most of the equipment, with the exception of helmets, associated with the other sports is purely for performance and status, and rarely do people gripe about it.

Have I accurately observed this, or have I been sniffing too much glue?:lotsalove:

[/QUOTE]You rarely see golfers toting around their Taylormades, complaining about greens fees or how much the club pro charges.[/QUOTE]

You have never been in Augusta During Master's week!

I paid 8.95 for 30-40 pages for my dive log... I'm talking about the pages that go IN the binder... all to support my LDS. if the complainers are cheap bastards what does this make me?:D

then you have more moneyy than sense . . . .fool

Or perhaps he is wise and checked out the
cost to own and maintain a compressor/fill station.

Unless you have a compressor and everything
needed to accomplish the filling of your tanks.
I would suggest that you support your LDS as well.

I routinely pay more for items through my LDS in order
to insure that I can get fills and equipment serviced.

There are many dive shops in my area.(Tampa, Florida)
But, only one that I trust with my life support gear,
& to fill my tanks without contaminating them.

Since I'm not quite ready to invest in a compressor,tanks for a bank, and a manifold/regulator set-up. I'll continue to pay more for things and support my LDS.
Just my 2%

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom