cheap and easy to maintain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't do cheap regs...one of those issues. I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for." As for service, it's gonna cost you about the same, give or take a few buck, no matter what brand you buy. Buy something that you can have serviced locally.

crpntr133:
I wouldn't do cheap regs...one of those issues. I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for." As for service, it's gonna cost you about the same, give or take a few buck, no matter what brand you buy. Buy something that you can have serviced locally.

hey crpntr.

i would not try to cheapen up on my gear. but i wanted something that would be cheap to maintain and easy as well. money is not an option when it comes to gear that allows you to breathe or drown. but i see that there are somethings that are overrated in equipment these days.. am i wrong about this?

jay

When it comes to buying regs, you should find out what is most easily serviced in the places where you live or travel to dive. Personally I chose Scuba Pro, because they are the most widely and easily serviced of regs in the places where I travel. I also just bought a couple of Apeks, which are easily serviced where I live.

The biggest mistake that I see people making is going cheap on their backup reg. My personal preference is to use identical regs for primary and secondary. In my case it's a pair of ATX 200's or S600's. I figure both my buddy and my life may depend on two high quality regs...

The biggest cost normally is 1st stage parts... so doing something like a Mares V16, V32, or TI Planet will save you bunches as they are using a SCS (spherical core seat) which doesn't really ever wear out... They suggest service on a 2 year instead of 1 year interval... and even then - the tech is supposed to check the parts... they really don't need replacing unless there is a problem.

Now if you want to spend a few more bucks, get a top notch reg, and still a 2 year service interval.. then Atomic might be the way to go. We sell a lot of Atomic, and have never had any complaints.... great stuff.

ScubaPro Mk2+ with R190 2nd stage. Decades old design, near indestructible, and a good performer. It's okay in cooler waters too. This is ScubaPro's "cheapest" regulator package, but hey it's friggin' ScubaPro. This design is extraordinarily easy to work on and get parts for.

For a bit more, swap to the slightly smaller R380 second stage. It's the same mechanism as the R190, but in a 25% more compact housing. Slightly less durable.

I've used this rig for years in Texas and the Caribbean, with little/no maintenance and rough working conditions. I keep waiting for it to break so I can upgrade, but it sadly disappoints.

Go with a Sherwood Brut or Magnum...these are workhorses used for rentals and can be easily serviced. Also they will suffice if you are in warm water.

johnny_bravo:
Go with a Sherwood Brut or Magnum...these are workhorses used for rentals and can be easily serviced. Also they will suffice if you are in warm water.
Uh, no, not the Brut. That is the perfect example of cheapening your reg, I mean real cheap. Like you can hardly breathe less than 800psi or deeper than 40ft. cheap. Anyways, the magnum is a good choice. But the Oasis would be a great pick. The price of Sherwood regs does not compare directly to their quality or their performance. If you dive rec. not much deeper than the limit, and warm water, the Oasis is your best bet. nothing can touch the parts cost of a sherwood reg. Like $3 CDN for a second stage kit. and $9 for a first stage kit. I would go that route.
The only thing is that if you are diving salt be sure to rinse it alot (like any other reg)

Aqualung is also good for warm, rec diving. even their basic will suffice.

Easy to get parts, and any monkey can service them, parts included in warranty, just pay for labour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom