Cheap and acceptable 3mm, 4mm, or 5/4 wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mambo Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering buying a wetsuit (vs. renting them) for south Florida winter use. A LDS employee (or owner?) stated that while they were selling 3mm wetsuits at the moment, many locals have been moving over to 5/4mm wetsuits for winter use. My thinking is that if I'm going to buy a wetsuit for warmth, I might as well get a full 3mm, or go with a 4/3 or 5/4. I'll buy a 1mm or .5mm in the spring or summer.

I already have an Akona 3mm shortie. It fits a bit tight in the arms, so I am abandoning hope of layering it over something.

Staying warm is just fine with me (5/4mm) - however, I'm just getting into the sport and spent my wad on a high quality regulator, wing and backplate, as well as the needed essentials (and that list keeps growing, LOL). I just can not afford a Gold-lined Henderson wetsuit. Perhaps next year, or the year after, I'll go for the better wetsuits, but at the moment I'm looking for at online deals for wetsuits.

Sidenote: I was just going to rough it and try to swim the currently 70 to 73 degree waters with the shortie, a nice Deep See hood (6.5mm cranium area with 3mm face seal and bib), 3mm booties and some gloves, but divers I trust suggested a full suit at all times to protect against stings and similar saline nasties. Thus I am in the market for a wetsuit.

I'm finding 3mm suits for $69 to $99 (some even at semi-LDS's - 2 hours drive away), plus 4/3's for a little more, and now I'm looking for recommendations of these sale, or 'off' brands, in as far as quality. It's gonna be one of them, but which one?

I checked the "Hot Deals" section of SB, but didn't find many of the deals I was finding online - plus I need your recommendations. Divetank's 5/4 suit is a consideration.

Thanks!

I have a Bare 5/4 Velocity and it's a nice suit. Thats probably the Divetank suit you mention. It has a nice neck seal, skin flapped rear zipper and internal gaskets mid calf and fore-arm. I'd buy it again in a hearbeat.

Fit is everything, repeat 3 times.

Pete

As Spectrum says, fit is everything. Luckily, SE Florida has some pretty competitive stores where you can try them on. http://www.diversdirect.com/group/1pc Jumpsuits_ID106

I've been very happy with a $100 3/2 O'Neil fullsuit bought at Diver's Direct / World Watersports.

They also have a Evo 5/4/3 suit for $130.

Wet suit purchase is more about sizing than anything else. I'm a near perfect fit for a Akona (their new one, not the older stuff), but does not work for my wife well. My wife is a Bare fan. Stretch panels and water seals are really nice, but having a good fitting suit means more. Neither of us fit the low end Henderson stuff, but I have a friend that they fit well.

If it fits, the 7mil akona is a real deal right now (I know, you were looking for a lighter suit).

ScubaL (triple-l) www.scubal.com has cheap wetsuits, but in my opinion you get what you pay for. The zippers are cheap and prone to break, and I don't think the neoprene is of very high quality.

I'd invest in something at least as good as the Bare. When I was just getting started, I went with a cheap wetsuit and spent my money on all the other gear. It's my opinion now that a wetsuit/exposure protection is probably the single most important piece of gear in terms of enjoying diving (at least in our 50 degree water). Being cold sucks.

Oh, and I would definitely get a 5mm full suit. You already have a 3mm shorty. A full 3mm would really be pretty redundant. The extra length on sleeves won't do too much to help keep you warmer. A thicker layer on your core will do the most.

Cheers! :D

I find I get cold by the second dive wearing a 3/2mm suit (even with a hood) in the winter in FLL, esp. drift dives where you aren't working much if at all. I like the Bare Velocity 7/6mm so much for freshwater dives I'm going to get the same suit in 5/4mm for the winter months in South Fla.

spectrum:
I have a Bare 5/4 Velocity and it's a nice suit. Thats probably the Divetank suit you mention. It has a nice neck seal, skin flapped rear zipper and internal gaskets mid calf and fore-arm. I'd buy it again in a hearbeat.

Fit is everything, repeat 3 times.

Pete
I have the same suit and also really like it. I got mine from scubatoys.com Instead of ordering online, give them a call and you can get a 10% discount if you say you are a scuba board member. I payed around $175 for my suit. They also come a huge range of sizes, so getting a good fit will be easier.

Last year in Cozumel, I was cold in a 3 mm full even with a hood at the end of most dives. This year, I was totally comfortable on every dive without a hood, even at the end of the second dive of the day.

Awesome. Thanks guys! WIth the info given here, and from a LDS where I rented a 3mm suit, I felt more comfortable getting something thicker. I just ran down to Divers Direct and looked at what they had (since I had to drive a friend to the airport anyway). I ended up purchasing the Evo 5/4/3 suit, and I think I'm gonna like it. It comes with a lifetime warranty (so if the YKK zipper fails, which it probably won't, I'm good to go), some sort of knee protection, and I got to flirt with Jane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom