chatroom??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HPT3

Reaction score
In the past months, I've enjoyed reading and participating in the SB. Has the SB adminatrators ever considered a chatroom section for the board as apposed to just post messages?

Dive related chat rooms have been tried on & off over the years. Many of the folks that post on boards are doing it at work, where doing the chat thing isn't really practical. (If they want to keep their job).
The closest thing I've seen work were a few ICQ group sessions, where folks would get together ar a few set times during the week. Interest fizzled out after a few weeks though.

I love ideas :)

The other significant issue with respect to a Community Chat Room is the time/date schedule and the fact that this board already privides a very powerfull PM feature.

A few years ago I spent a significant amount of money to obtain the very best Chat service for my Community which is not scuba related. Then I invited a few VIPs to answer questions in these Chat sessions which even included a transcript and moderator cue to line up each question.

The "new toy" had a sudden spike for a month or so and then declined to nearly no participents. They all had trouble with the time and date since it's a global Community that encompases the world. They prefered to look at whoes online at the bottom and use PM for quick blasts :) or just send and wait :)

Here's a thought,.... using AIM (or ann AIM client) just go to a chatroom called "dive" ... maybe someone else will be there, maybe not ... but these things cost nothing to set up and noone has to moderate them ....

As it becomes more well-known, maybe people will be in that chat-room more.

This has worked for some obscure computer groups i frequent ...

Chat rooms are harder to police and sometimes (as we all know) things get nasty. I think the forum format is better suited to our needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom