charles law question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is not enough temperature shift to be a big deal with respect to usable tank pressure. However, the cold dry air that exits your regulator is another question and contributes substantially to making you cold on a dive. Try 2% hydrogen in your breathing mix (careful, that's not as easy as it sounds), brought out over a platinum wool catalyst in the intermediate pressure line. You get 130o F moist air out of your regulator.

11x:
charles law states that a gas that is heated expands and builds about 5psi per degree of tempature and that is why when a scuba tank gets cooled (like taking it down below a 50deg thermocline) that the pressure drops because the cooling gasses condense.

You are slightly confused. Don't feel bad, most divers are also confused in this area. Charles' Law is V1T2=V2T1 Charles' Law deals with temperature/volume relationships. Charles' Law has no practical diving application. It is, however, very important in hot air ballooning.

You are asking about temperature/pressure relationships. For that you need to look at Amonton's Law P1T2=P2T1

11x:
well my question is this. has anyone ever tried to heat a tank at depth? or even insulate the tank to keep the tempature swing to a minimum? i think a person could possiably aleviate some of the problems we face with breathing compresed air at depth.

What problem are you trying to solve? It appears you have a solution in search of a problem. If you want more air, use a bigger tank. Keep it simple.

What problem are you trying to solve? It appears you have a solution in search of a problem. If you want more air:
i suposse you are right. i hate the time i have to spend out of the water it gives me to much time to think lol

There is not enough temperature shift to be a big deal with respect to usable tank pressure. However, the cold dry air that exits your regulator is another question and contributes substantially to making you cold on a dive. Try 2% hydrogen in your breathing mix (careful, that's not as easy as it sounds), brought out over a platinum wool catalyst in the intermediate pressure line. You get 130o F moist air out of your regulator.

hmmmm????? never looked at it from that side of the fence, now you got me thinking

On a (somewhat) related tangent:

Anyone know the temperature of the gas in your lungs when diving?

If the tank has reached equilibrium in,say,50 degree water and the gas cools further as it expands in the regs what temperature is it when you inhale it ? Has it warmed up to body temp when you exhale or is it still cold??

You exhale it at essentially body temperature and 100% humidity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom