Charging North American Electronics in South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riftvalley84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are leaving for South Africa on Thursday and am unsure about the need for current converters. I realize I will most likely need a plug adapter but will I also need a current converter to charge my camera batteries (lithion), iphone & macbook? It is my understanding that most electronics use dual voltage batteries so can be used in North America as well as overseas but any input is appreciated. I don't want to pack more than I need but also need to be able to charge my electronics.

220 volts @ 50 hZ, two and three round pin plugs. See Plug & socket types - World Standards

If your device has a switch for 220/50 (Have a look, check the manual or PDF), all you'll need is a plug adapter. If not, you'll also need a transformer. Not much more to it than that.

There's a lot of 110/60 in better hotels and some liveaboards (near camera tables).

As a veteran traveler to SA, (30 trips over 15 years), I can assure you that all you need is an physical adapter for your electronics. You can get it here or purchase at any South African supermarket. BTW, Electronics use multi-voltage transformers not batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom