Changing Regulator Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gil Middlebrooks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Quick newbie question: I am going to change my regulator and octo hoses to miflex2 hoses so I can change the lengths. I know I need to put just a bit of silicone on the o-rings. Since I dive nitrox from time to time, should I have any concern about the silicone I use. (I ordered the smallest Trident size from Leisure Pro.)

Thanks for the info.

Quick newbie question: I am going to change my regulator and octo hoses to miflex2 hoses so I can change the lengths. I know I need to put just a bit of silicone on the o-rings. Since I dive nitrox from time to time, should I have any concern about the silicone I use. (I ordered the smallest Trident size from Leisure Pro.)

Thanks for the info.

You should be fine for Nitrox mixes under 40% EAN. I'm 99% sure it's "food grade" and you don't have petroleum issues with it.

Christo-lube or some other Oxygen Compatible grease would always be better though.

EDIT: for the record, I bet that 95% of them are put on w/o ANY lube and they work just fine.

Yeah most people don't put lube on the o-rings of the hoses

I changed my Reg hose to a longer Miflex. I have never use lube on Reg/Octo hose o-ring. Lube may attract dirt and sand.

I lube new ones lightly, installing them dry can allow the orings to drag and pinch. Silicone, christolube or even spit works ok, there are no issues with any lube up 40% nitrox. Assuming it is compatable with the orings.

Change your 'o' rings over to Viton, and you can use any nitrox %...Use lube only if the manufacture suggests... I use Tribolube 71 which is rated for both Static and Dynamic use when lubrication is called for....Go to Divegearexpress.com, they have good articles concerning 'o' rings, lubrication, Tribolube and Christolube

Change your 'o' rings over to Viton, and you can use any nitrox %...Use lube only if the manufacture suggests... I use Tribolube 71 which is rated for both Static and Dynamic use when lubrication is called for....Go to Divegearexpress.com, they have good articles concerning 'o' rings, lubrication, Tribolube and Christolube

as long as the rest of the reg is O2 service rated...

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wjup5a

There is no need at all for viton or any of the expensive lubes on regs used O2 less than 40%, esp as a hose oring lube. It's nothing more than a waste of money.

Lube can keep orings from becoming dry and brittle. It can also attract sand a grit, assuming you have sand or grit in the area to be attracted to the lubed oring. On a clean hardwood table/microfiber towel/lint free surface, if you wipe your hose O-ring, lightly lube, then immediately install the hose, how's the grit going to collect?

I lube static orings very microscopically-lightly. My thought is so the O-ring doesn't get dry and brittle. I use cheap O-rings that come in your run of the mill save a dive kits.

A properly lubed o-ring shouldn't attract grit- unless you're dragging it through sand. Regs get twisted a lot and a proper lube will add life to the o-ring.

As mentioned above, unless you're going above 40% O2 (when the whole unit needs to be O2-safe), generic scuba lubricant is fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom