Changing over all my regs, Scubapro questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50Fathom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in the process of changing over my regulators to ones that are GUE-compliant. I work in a shop that sells Scubapro, (and only Scubapro), so I'm going that route. I'm also a Scubapro tech, so that helps.

For logistics, I would like to standardize my kit to all identical 1sts and 2nds, but I'm running into a minor issue.

I'm going with all G250V seconds, (of course), but I am flummoxed about the first stage choice.

I am a diaphragm guy. Period. I like sealed diaphragms and am just not a huge piston fan, though they do work well. So it sounds like I could just go with Mk17s all day and be fine, right?

Well, research on here indicates that for stage bottles, pistons are preferred since they work better when flooded. Also, apparently, the Mk25 has better hose routing options with stages/deco bottles.

Thing is, while I live in TX, cold water diving is something that I will be doing in the future, (our Honeymoon is going to be an Arctic or Antarctic expedition, depending on season, among other cold-water trips.), and I REALLY like that the Mk17 can handle extreme cold and nasty water conditions. MY thinking being: if it can handle the cold and nasty, it DANG sure can handle everything less extreme.

I mean, I look at the Mk25, and, (in my opinion) quite a few of its design features are little more than band-aids to help marginal cold-water performance. I also don't like the fact that it's unsealed. Generally, I tear down a piston reg, even a taken care of one, and it has funk-nasty in the ambient chamber after a year. I tear down diaphragms, even out-of-spec ones and they look new inside. (And the Mk25's 300scfm flow rate is mostly for bragging rights, IMHO.)

So basically, I could be looking at Mk17s for backgas regs and Mk25s for deco or stage regs, but I really don't wanna be mixing like that. Could Mk17s make good stage/deco regs, and are the "diaphragms are crap when flooded" thing overblown or what?

This would be SO much easier if they only sold the, (now discontinued) Mk19 here in the States. I could get perfect backgas hose routing with a diaphragm, but I'm still facing the issues of "diaphragm performance when flooded".

And I realize I'm a ways away from needing to worry about a dropped stage being down so long the reg floods, but why buy twice? If I can get the right gear now, I'm set for down the road.

Thanks in advance.

Hi 50,

I have MK2's on my stages and im very happy. Easy to service and reliable. I went with the 17's on my back gas and am pretty happy. Hose routing could be better but its not much of an issue. I dive the Halcyon explorer 50 and two 12L's and have them turned sideways so I have better access to the valves (or an eclipse in single tank config). We hit the Ice in winter and Egypt in spring so the regs get a range of use and I cant report a single fault.

You can also check out www.DeepBlueVoyager.com to see where they go...

I would also add that since the G250 has been around forever you can pick up some used one on ebay for the stage bottles... they pop up from time to time for a good price.

I do understand that you are a Scubapro and a diaphragm guy; but, besides that, what is your problem with mixing? I too dive Scubapro but only piston 1sts. I have 6 different 1st stage models and 13 different 2nd stage models. It is just not much of a problem.

... especially when they share pretty much the same parts inside: 3 HP seats and 2 LP seats do them all, except the Darth Vador series.
:D

I assume you get some good discount on the kit. Based on this alone I would get MK17 all-round. Yes the 25's route better, but the 17's have more all-round capability.

Hmmm, that's a rather broad range. What regs are you assuming are not?

My current regs are Poseidon, which are specifically by-name not authorized due to being upstream, along with proprietary parts. I adore the performance of them, but since they're not authorized, I am, with a heavy heart, going to have to sell them.

Also, being a Scubapro dealer and tech, I can get Scubapro regs for cheap, and all the spare parts and kits I could ever want. It would be very easy to stock up on parts and kits, so even if I left here, I could be set for a while.

I do understand that you are a Scubapro and a diaphragm guy; but, besides that, what is your problem with mixing? I too dive Scubapro but only piston 1sts. I have 6 different 1st stage models and 13 different 2nd stage models. It is just not much of a problem.

I was in the Army prior to this and worked in logistics. I am a HUGE fan of simplifying and streamlining, (after working in the massive bureaucracy that is Army Logistics), and if I only need one parts kit for every single 2nd stage I own and one parts kit for every single first stage I own, it makes resupply and stocking a lot easier.

I could have 10-20 parts kits each (G250/Mk17), along with a supply of commonly-broken bits, and be set for the next 5-6 years, easy.

I do have a Mk2 I was given and I O2 cleaned it and set it up as a 100% reg, but other than that, I'm a "blank slate" as far as Scubapro.

To be GUE compliant, what color/flavor of cool-aid should one drink? You are in the business and know the regs. Why would go shaker you 1st hand knowledge?

To be GUE compliant, what color/flavor of cool-aid should one drink? You are in the business and know the regs. Why would go shaker you 1st hand knowledge?

And this is germane to the discussion how?

Do I crap on or make snide comments about the way you choose to dive?

I keep hearing this is a sport of "personal preference". Funny how that's the case until the person prefers the "GUE path", then the comments and derision come in from all directions.

The thread is about the current lineup of Scubapro regs and the first stage options thereof. Can it please stay on-topic?

Based on the considerations you outlined, it makes sense to "standardize" to 1 second stage (G250V) and 2 different first stages (backgas - MK17, stage - piston - MK25 or other). You're an official Scubapro reg tech with access to unlimited parts kits (for now). I don't see the big deal. If your needs change down the road, you can "revise" the regs you have in your dive closet.

Back
Top Bottom