Changing over all my regs, Scubapro questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50Fathom,
You generally can't get a better or more complete answer than one from DA. I was thinking along the same lines but he said it much better than I could. Kudos DA, and as lowviz said: there's always a nugget in there worth adding to your own knowledge base.

FYI- I am all Mk17's. I am contemplating a 25 for a single set up though.....

FYI- I am all Mk17's. I am contemplating a 25 for a single set up though.....

Well, there are enough positive endorsements here that I think I'm pretty well gonna go this way.

Thanks all. This is such a great resource.

Why not use MK17s on your back gas and MK2s on your stage/deco bottles? I'm not sure why you need O2 clean regs on your back gas, you're not planning on high O2 mixes for that, are you?

The MK2 is very simple and probably an excellent O2 reg, and with the G250 2nd stage will perform fine. In fact, why not consider using 109s for the deco 2nd stages; super simple, ultra tough, and unbalanced for a nice near-empty warning when used with the MK2 2nd stage. Then you'd black plastic 2nds for the back gas and chrome metal 2nds for the deco/stages. Is that a GUE problem? The "kit" for a 109 consists of a puck seat and 2 o-rings.

Why not use MK17s on your back gas and MK2s on your stage/deco bottles? I'm not sure why you need O2 clean regs on your back gas, you're not planning on high O2 mixes for that, are you?

The MK2 is very simple and probably an excellent O2 reg, and with the G250 2nd stage will perform fine. In fact, why not consider using 109s for the deco 2nd stages; super simple, ultra tough, and unbalanced for a nice near-empty warning when used with the MK2 2nd stage. Then you'd black plastic 2nds for the back gas and chrome metal 2nds for the deco/stages. Is that a GUE problem? The "kit" for a 109 consists of a puck seat and 2 o-rings.

Well, I was just given a couple of 109s, an Adjustable and a Balanced Adjustable along with a Mk5, and was gonna use 'em in my vintage diving. If I come into a couple more, I just may press 'em into service as deco regs. They actually breathe QUITE well and are stylish as hell.

The idea for O2-clean Mk17s was to use them as deeper deco regs or deeper stage regs to standardize my kit . The increased performance as depth increases was a thought. The Mk2 would be fine for even a 50% bottle, since that's no deeper than 70 feet, (as long as there's a high-performance second on it), but for deeper stops, I wonder about the performance. It's unbalanced and flows around 90scfm, which is decent, and while really deep stops are also a ways away for me, I need to do more research or testing into the performance of the Mk2 at 100+ feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom