Changing hose on Atomic Z1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iflyprops

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am going to go "semi" DIR. I wan't to change the stock hose on my Atomic Z1 Reg to a 5ft but am curious on how to do it...any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Never mind....The rubber deal is just hard to get off...Moderator feel free to delete this post!

I realized two things about atomic after owning one for several months: 1. Everything is hella expensive. 2. They look good only and ONLY if u buy the miscs and addons from them (which are hella expensive), otherwise the reg will look somewhat awkward.

DementialFaith:
I realized two things about atomic after owning one for several months: 1. Everything is hella expensive. 2. They look good only and ONLY if u buy the miscs and addons from them (which are hella expensive), otherwise the reg will look somewhat awkward.

If you ask me I think the Z1 is a helluva a regulator for the price. AFAIK the main differences between the Z1/B1/T1 regs are the materials used (and some features). The B1 and, especially the T1, do get expensive, however :)

Atomic Aquatics First Stages

DementialFaith:

What miscs and addons?? How does the reg look awkward if you don't have these?

I agree on the Z1 being a great reg, especially for the money. It breathes the same at 130fsw as it does on the surface. And yes...everything is very expensive!

I just started using a Atomic B2 and that is one incredible reg. I understand that the Z1 uses a similar internal design for the first and second stages and the B2 has some added bells and whistles. If that is correct, I would imagine the Z1 is an excellent choice in regs.

The only 'bells and whistles' that I'm aware of are the more exotic materials (titanium and monel), the wider exhaust tee and larger knob, the diaphram cover and the crazy expensive swivel that's on the B2. Other than that I think all the Atomic regulators are essentially the same. Oh, and the Z1 first doesn't have a swivel like the others. Of all of these the wider exhaust tee was the only 'upgrade' I made my B1 setup and cost me a whopping $25 including the larger knob! The others I can do without :)

PnL:
The only 'bells and whistles' that I'm aware of are the more exotic materials (titanium and monel), the wider exhaust tee and larger knob, the diaphram cover and the crazy expensive swivel that's on the B2. Other than that I think all the Atomic regulators are essentially the same. Oh, and the Z1 first doesn't have a swivel like the others. Of all of these the wider exhaust tee was the only 'upgrade' I made my B1 setup and cost me a whopping $25 including the larger knob! The others I can do without :)

Yes, you are right on the Titanium and Monel, but the only Atomic Regular that comes stock with the swivel is the B-2. The M-1 (Which I dive.) comes stock with the monel and wide exhaust tee, but no swivel as it has heat sink on the hose that fits into the 2nd stage.

As for the cost for the swivel, I think you get what you pay for. Compare the Atomic swivel set-up, to other after market ones and you will see the difference. As for needing a swivel one can only judge that by the extra comfort and easy of use it provides. Sure, one can get along without it as one can with many "comfort" items, however, I do like to feel as comfortable as I can manage. I had upgraded my B-1 to the Swivel and wider exhaust, prior to it being stolen and found both improved comfort and reduced bubbles around the face. Of course some DIR types will say (especially the swivel) is juts another thing to go wrong...but then I seldom listen to them and I feel that the Atomic Swivel is well made and very unlikely to cause a problem. :jump013:

Anyone have an opinion on the Atomic swivel, and whether it's worth another $50 to buy the titanium version? Is there a significant weight difference between the stainless and titanium? I have a B1 and the pull is starting to bug me. Seems some folks swear by these swivels.

Back
Top Bottom