Changing Fins, from full foot to open heel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manolis_86

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have the Mares plana Avanti Tre Full Foot Fins. I whant to changed for a Open Hell fin.
Which one should I get: *Mares Volo, *Mares Quatro or Cressi Master Frog ?
Thank you.

i don't use any of those personally(I went the mares xstreams to clear my store credit with a dive shop i cut ties with)but I know 4 people who swear by Volo's and after trying a pair of volos i went with the xstreams which i love. Tons of power for very little effort with both the xstreams and volos I can't say anything about the others.

Depends what you want to get out of it. The Mares Volo and Cressi Master Frog look like they would operate very similarly, because they're both very flexible and have a lot of snap.

I've only seen the Mares Volo & Quattros in action personally. So I'll talk specifically about those two.
The Volos are great for flutter kicking but not so good at back kicking. In comparison with the Quattros, they lack thrust when using minute movements for frog and helicopter turns; they especially lack in back kicks, although you still get some movement, there's really not a lot of momentum behind it. They rely on their snap to give you the greatest amount of thrust, which means you need a big kick to flex it.

The Quattros are stiff and act more like Jet fins, except they feel longer. They work well with every type of kick if you focus on a kick-glide-kick method.

From the looks of the Cressi Master Frog, they don't look like they could excel in helicopter turns and look atrocious for back kicks. The blade is so thin that you wouldn't be able to utilize any side wall of the fin for thrust, which is what helicopters and back kicks need in a fin to be effective.

The Quattros and Volos are very quality fins, pretty similar to eachoter too, so you'll be happy either way. I know the Quattros are nice and durable, but I don't know about the Volos, they just seem a little thin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom