Chances of finding Meg teeth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sign up for a dive trip with The Discovery Channel. Apparently they know where the Megalodons are hanging out...
(runs away)

I'm sorry, I dont quite follow.
if this is not a joke, please tell me where to sign up!!

and that is awesome to hear!
glad y'all had a sweet trip

I'm sorry, I dont quite follow.
if this is not a joke, please tell me where to sign up!!

and that is awesome to hear!
glad y'all had a sweet trip

It was a joke. Shark week on Discovery channel was kicked of by a Documentary presenting evidence that the Meg may still be alive. Apparently (obviously) this was a mocumentary and many people were outraged and boycotted shark week. Did anyone else notice what appeared to be an old newspaper article talking about the world record 9.xx" tooth found in the Rappahannock River? Wonder if that was an actual newspaper article, or as fake as most of the other facts presented?

It was a joke. Shark week on Discovery channel was kicked of by a Documentary presenting evidence that the Meg may still be alive. Apparently (obviously) this was a mocumentary and many people were outraged and boycotted shark week. Did anyone else notice what appeared to be an old newspaper article talking about the world record 9.xx" tooth found in the Rappahannock River? Wonder if that was an actual newspaper article, or as fake as most of the other facts presented?

Wouldn't surprise me. People are finding Meg teeth up and down the Potomac across from Quantico around Douglas Point. I read about it on the internet and took my RIB out there just a couple weeks ago. I spoke to an old dude walking the shore looking for teeth/fossils. He said he's found several meg teeth in that area. He even gave me a small shark's tooth he just picked up. There is a cliff on the shore near him that's visibly full of shells. You're not supposed to dig in it, but you can take the fossils/shells/teeth that fall off from erosion. I plan to go back and check the depth just offshore. It might be worth snorkling (or even diving) to see what comes up.

Wouldn't surprise me. People are finding Meg teeth up and down the Potomac across from Quantico around Douglas Point. I read about it on the internet and took my RIB out there just a couple weeks ago. I spoke to an old dude walking the shore looking for teeth/fossils. He said he's found several meg teeth in that area. He even gave me a small shark's tooth he just picked up. There is a cliff on the shore near him that's visibly full of shells. You're not supposed to dig in it, but you can take the fossils/shells/teeth that fall off from erosion. I plan to go back and check the depth just offshore. It might be worth snorkling (or even diving) to see what comes up.

That would really surprise me if they were actually finding meg teeth. A few miles south on the MD side, where the river takes a sharp turn is a nice stretch of beach that is full of small teeth. I have collected thousands of teeth from there and various other nearby sites, but anything over 1" is very rare. However, a few months ago I was showing a client on of my meg teeth and he said " oh yeah, I found one of those when I was living in Aquia Harbor". His details were a bit sketchy, but he mentioned something about a cave up on a hill near the water. I kind of doubted his story, but I have known him for quite a while and I don't think he would make it up, so there just might be something to this. Just having a hard time believing that I never came across one in all the time I have spent on that river. Either way, if you decide to explore it further and need a buddy, let me know. I'm always up for a meg tooth hunt. I have been heavily researching other local locations where we may find meg teeth and have come up with quite a few leads on land and water, but nothing sounds like a "gold mine" of meg teeth. For the most part, everything seems to be a case of "you might find a tooth if you look long enough"

We dove the Potomic once last year and will hit it once or twice a year for teeth from now on. We've found several dozen small teeth (-2") but no big ones yet. Our next Westmoreland camping/scuba trip is in Sept. It makes for a fun inexpensive dive weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom