Ch ch ch changes...those little goals we make

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Way to go, Almity!

Well, I'm through the first week of changes and I have met all of my goals and then some. I had one day with only 7 serves of fruit and veg, but didn't have any junk including no coke at all - instead of my allocated max 2 per day - so I think I came out ahead :)

Week Two:
+ at least 10 minutes on the elliptical, or equivalent, per day
- maintain 9 serves fruit/veg each day
- maintain no more than two cokes, or parts of cokes, per day
- maintain at least 2L of water per day
- maintain beach walk, or equivalent, of 35+ minutes per day at least five days/week (this wasn't on my week one list, but I've done it each day so I'm adding it retroactively instead of as a new goal)

Now, if I can just figure out a way to get Tilly to stop chasing the pedals on the elliptical trainer!

WAY TO GO back at you Alcina!!!!

didn't have any junk

wow - you dont realize how much you use to have until you dont! i think im into week 3 of no chocolate tomorrow :shocked:

if i went to meetings, im sure i would get a badge for that or something wouldnt i??

:D

Well, currently, I am on vacation in Cancun and going diving later today. I knew I was out of shape and overweight before I got here, but dayum, I didn't realize how bad it really was. I could barely walk from where I am staying half way down the strip (across from Sr. Frogs) to CocoBongo. I have now been walking that numerous times a day (but not drinking much) and can now make it without my lower back being on fire.

I have been here a week, with another week to go, but, ON VACATION, have dropped 8 pounds. Now, before you start congratulating me (if anybody planned to :)), I still have about 80 pounds to go to get me back to being 20 pounds overweight. (Hehehehe) Really, I am 6'6", 330 and should be 6'6", 240, so I still have a lot of work to do.

My goal is to get to 240 by March, 2009. I have been doing no exercising at all for the last few years (due to 12 hour work days, 7 days a week), but that is changing once I get back from vacation. (It is actually changing while I am ON vacation.) I live on Diego Garcia on a Navy base. There is not much to do there once I get off work since I am not allowed to dive. I can snorkel and swim, so my new goal requires me to put in 30-60 minutes of swimming a day, along with 30-60 minutes of walking a day.

Hopefully, by next years vacation, I will be back to near college weight and in very good shape. Will keep you posted.

Hi everybody! I'm new to this board and really love the place so far. Like the rest of you in this particular forum, I'm striving to lose some weight and shape up and diving is a major motivator for me. Just as some background ... I just turned 50 in March and I've been overweight all my life. I've been diving for 31 years and my weight has never really caused me any problems with that, but I know I would be better, more comfortable and safer if I had less fat on my body and had better cardiovascular conditioning.

So I started getting really serious about it beginning April 1. I'm 6 ft. tall and weighed in at 258 ... not good. But I started hitting my local YMCA early nearly every morning and eating good, "clean" food, trying to space my feedings throughout the day, every 3-4 hours. I try to stay to a schedule of doing a "pushing" workout for chest, shoulders and triceps on Mondays and Thursdays and a "pulling" workout for back and biceps on Tuesdays and Fridays. I feel that my cardio workouts do enough for my legs, which are my best feature. I start each workout with 10 minutes or so of warmup on a recumbant bike and finish with 30-40 minutes of cardio on either a treadmill or an elliptical machine. In the cardio workouts I shoot for a burn of 400 to 500 calories each session, depending on the time spent, so I'm pretty gassed at the end. I also have been "snorkeling" (laps) in the YMCA pool at least a couple of times a week, 30 minutes each time.

I have been trying to stay off the scale, since I am the type who gets addicted to it and can't stay off it, then get discouraged when the results are not what I want or expect. So, in April I weighed on the 1st, then vowed to put the scale away and not weigh again until the 15th. I get paid on the 15th and on the last day of each month, so weighing on payday seemed like a good plan. On April 15th I had lost 13 pounds, so I was pleased with that. I had set a goal of 20 pounds for the month, so I was glad to be more than halfway to my goal at halfway through the month.

Then I got kind of derailed. A few days later I went to a concert and had a few beers. I had not been drinking at all in the first half of the month. A couple of days later I had a few beers again, vowing to get back on track the next day, which was a Monday. You know, "my diet starts on Monday." Anyway, I did get back on track, but started weighing myself far too often again. I continued my exercise regimen and proper eating, but by May 1, I had only lost about 3.5 more pounds, making my April weight loss 16.5 pounds. I was at 242.5. I know 16.5 pounds is actually good for one month, but I fell short of my goal and was disappointed. I had been watching "The Biggest Loser" every week, and that's inspiring, but getting results like they get is unrealistic, isn't it?

So, with the new month of May I vowed again to stay off the scale and continue my regular exercise and eating program, and I have done really good so far, one week into it. No beer or junk food. I have set a more realistic goal of 13 or so pounds for May, which will put me at 230 or below. My next weigh in is next Thursday, May 15th.

I'm going to Orlando for the weekend this week, but will be able to stick to my program. I really am taking it "one day at a time" and focusing on doing the right thing just for today, then doing it again tomorrow.

I'm not really sure what my ultimate goal is as far as weight, around 200 would thrill me to death, but I have a brand new shortie wetsuit I bought a year ago and I would love to be able to wear it, so one goal is to be able to wear it comfortably in the fall when the water starts cooling off and I'd like to extend my diving season. I only dive in the warmer months. It's size XL, but you know how that is ... when you hold it up on the hanger it looks more like a Medium, and I'm not exaggerating. I guess that's a subject for another thread, but why do they do that? I know wetsuits are supposed to fit snugly, but I wear size XL shirts and T-shirts and such perfectly, but can't zip up that freakin' wetsuit! I saw on another message board where someone suggested that the suits are cut and manufactured in Asia, where the people are smaller. Anyway, my goal is to wear the darn thing and I've got quite a bit of gut getting in the way! LOL!

Sorry for this getting so long, but future posts won't go into so much detail. I just wanted everyone to know where I am, where I'm going and how I plan to get there. Confessing everything is good, so now I'll be held more "accountable" for my progress. It's great to be part of an online community that has so much in common.

Thanks, guys!

Sorry for this getting so long, but future posts won't go into so much detail. I just wanted everyone to know where I am, where I'm going and how I plan to get there. Confessing everything is good, so now I'll be held more "accountable" for my progress. It's great to be part of an online community that has so much in common.

I liked your long post!

Welcome to you new guys! And way to go for getting on track!! Sounds like you are both doing really well.

I know it's tough, but Big G, don't get down on yourself. 16 pounds in a month isn't "good" - it's a HUGE loss! I can't imagine sustaining that at all and especially not with your starting points. A loss of 1-2 pounds max per week is considered "safe & healthy" - more than that and there's a real risk of a variety of problems, including destroying muscle mass!

I'm on Day 13 of making changes and have done fine, except for this week's new goal of 10 minutes on the e-machine each day. I'm going to try again today, but yesterday the knee and ankle just wouldn't hold again. Oh well, guess it saves me thinking of a new goal for Week Three LOL

Welcome to you new guys! And way to go for getting on track!! Sounds like you are both doing really well.

I know it's tough, but Big G, don't get down on yourself. 16 pounds in a month isn't "good" - it's a HUGE loss! I can't imagine sustaining that at all and especially not with your starting points. A loss of 1-2 pounds max per week is considered "safe & healthy" - more than that and there's a real risk of a variety of problems, including destroying muscle mass!

I'm on Day 13 of making changes and have done fine, except for this week's new goal of 10 minutes on the e-machine each day. I'm going to try again today, but yesterday the knee and ankle just wouldn't hold again. Oh well, guess it saves me thinking of a new goal for Week Three LOL

Hello, fellow Pisces! I'm March 10. Thanks for the reply. I feel like I'm on track for sure, and my April goal was very ambitious, but after losing 13 pounds the first two weeks, the second two weeks were even more of a letdown, but I'm not going to let it derail me. I know I'm doing myself a lot of good, and like i said in my original post, "one day at a time" is the best way to approach it.

Hi everyone! I was so excited to find this thread. I am currently a member of a really great Weight Watchers group, but no one there shares my love of diving, so this is a great way to get some additional encouragement! I started WW in late February because I love diving and are able to take trips 2-3 times per year. I wanted to reduce my chances of yuck stuff happening, and increase my abilitiy to dive better and to enjoy it more because I wasn't worried about being the heaviest woman on the boat or being able to haul myself back up in the boat after my dives. I started at 5'4" and 216 lbs. I had a diving trip planned for late April to Jamaica and wanted to see what I could do. I started going to the gym 4-5 times per week and really watching what I ate. I lost 21 pounds prior to my trip and I wanted to see what difference that would make in my diving. Boy, was I surprised! I usually dive with 16lbs of weights, so that is what I started with. Every dive, I would take off a couple of pounds because it seemed too much. I ended up diving very comfortably with only 8lbs. 8lbs! This was due in part to my weight loss, but I think mostly because I was more physically fit and therefore had much better breathing/breath control. I was not exhausted after every dive and could get in and out of my equipment and the boat much better. I was feeling so good that I went ahead and got my Advanced Open Water cert while I was there and was able to do so very comfortably and confidently. I say all of this to encourage each of you in your struggles to break old habbits, form new ones, and become healthier. Every thing that you do to increase your health affects so many areas in your life - including your diving. I still have a whopping 50 pounds to go, so I am taking it one day at a time, and a small goal at a time. I have another trip planned for late September with a weight loss goal of another 30-35 pounds. I can't wait to see how much better I feel by then! Bravo to you all for making goals and taking strides to be healthier and happier!!!!!

Welcome heathrampy!! Sounds like you are doing great :)

The start of Week Three and my knee/ankle seem to be recovering - did an 8 minute and a 5 minute on the e-machine yesterday, so I'll try my Week Two again!
Week Three Up to end Week Two comments:
+ at least 10 minutes on the elliptical, or equivalent, per day
- maintain 9 serves fruit/veg each day So far this is going well
- maintain no more than two cokes, or parts of cokes, per day So far, no cokes at all
- maintain at least 2L of water per day Doing great on this one!
- maintain beach walk, or equivalent, of 35+ minutes per day at least five days/week Today is the first morning we haven't walked so also doing great on this!

Hi guys, I'm pretty new here but I wondered if I could join in with your health and weight loss plans? I've been living in New Zealand for 7 months and haven't yet made friends that I feel I can discuss this 'stuff' with.

My vital statistics...
5'9" and 230lbs (was 267lbs in September last year)

Apparently I "carry it well" which translates into "you don't look THAT fat". I've always been self concious about my weight but thought that having a big smile and a bigger sense of humour would mean that people wouldn't notice. I got through my Dive Master certification by proving that fat people can be fit and achieving good scores in the fitness tests. But the reality is - I don't like feeling sluggish, I don't like that I consume air a little bit quicker than others, and I especially don't like being the fattest person on the boat!

I have my OWSI exams in July in the Cook Islands (8 weeks time to be exact) and would like to go without the added stress of worrying if I'll be the fattest person there - which really does take up alot of my thinking time, so I'm looking to lose 20lbs before I go.

Any support would be greatly received (and given back), it's always easier with other like minded people.

Thank you, Becky x

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom