Certification Requirements to Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've logged 300 dives or so over the last few years with over 150 of those dives between 110ft and 120ft. I dive with a lot of friends on their boats offshore and have only been on 30 chartered dives of the 300. I always have the most experienced diver on the trip sign my log book, many times he/she is a Dive Master, and sometimes an instructor rating. As far as Cert Cards, I only have my Open Water Certification and got my Nitrox just to get my LP120s filled.

Will most places take the logbook with signatures and diver/masterdiver numbers as a substitute for Advanced Open Water certification? I called a dive shop in the Carolinas today about a trip while my Fiance and I are visiting. I called to inquire about a wreck dive in 80ft of water, which required an AOW Cert. My fiance does have her Advanced Open Water but has logged only about 50 dives and is much less experienced than myself. Despite my experience level and my Fiance as a dive buddy, they told me I would have to either take their Advanced Open Water Class the day before the trip or pay $50 extra on my trip to have an extra dive master "babysit" us on the dive since BOTH of us did not have an advanced open water certification. :confused:

Is this the normal with dive shops? I thought this was a ridiculous attempt to just suck some cash out of my pocket. I'd much rather spend $50 in the dive shop for something I can use than pay $50 for something I certainly don't need on a simple 80ft wreck dive on a big charter boat.
I haven't dived in the States in quite a while, but I have never run across a dive operator who required an AOW certification from me. I know that they exist, but I have never encountered one. So you can do ~750 dives across a few continents without one. I think your theory that it is an attempt to pick your pocket has some validity.

I totally sympathize with you. The answer to your opening question is no, most places won't accept the substitute but some will. If I am divemaster, I want to see the log book and I have no problem taking you on any dive. There are alot of Advance Open Water card holders who are not near as competent as I am sure you are. My wife holds only and Open Water C card, has experience similar to yours, but she gets to dive with me so no issues arize.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom