certification required to purchase equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it is an uncommon policy to refuse sales of scuba equipment to uncertified divers, and I sense there is a misunderstanding here.

For one, your friend, the experienced diver, likely would not purchase a gift certificate from a store that they didn't like.

On a side note, why don't you borrow your friend's regulator for your class, you might learn a thing or two during the class that might help you in selecting a regulator for yourself.

It is very uncommon. Otherwise very few people would get dive gear for their birthday and Christmas. It's a stupid policy that only drives business away. But for me that's a good thing!

No reason at all not to sell gear to uncertified divers, Stupid move on the LDS part..filling a tank with air or renting a tank to someone uncertified is not a good idea.Maybe that is what the confusion was about.

Hold onto the card. Buy the reg after you finish the class. You don't need it during class.

I don't believe it is an industry standard not to sell gear to uncertified divers.

I will sell everything including an empty tank.

However, the line is drawn on filling a tank. The person must be a certified diver, if they are going to use it to dive.

Paintball and other non SCUBA uses are OK. We will fill those tanks.

It is very uncommon. Otherwise very few people would get dive gear for their birthday and Christmas. It's a stupid policy that only drives business away. But for me that's a good thing!

I can agree that it isn't a very good policy, but I have a local LDS that has this policy. They make exceptions for divers enrolled in a class, and generally for non-divers buying presents (so, yes, it is easy to get around their policy). As for air fills, they will only fill tanks for non-certified divers if the tank is permanently marked with something to the effect of "not for scuba diving"). Again, easy to get around, permanently mark your tank, and then cover the marking when you dive...or just let it show :)

And although I don't really agree with the policy, I don't see it as a big enough deal to get bent out of shape over.

I wouldn't advise being nasty about it.

If you are nasty about it they will write you off and not listen to the things you a saying. Take Jim's advice, just do it with a calm tone of voice and a smile on your face.

---------- Post Merged at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Ps... I had not been on this board before I bought most of my gear. Knowing why I do now, if I were you, I'd get the cash and give Jim Lapenta a call. He sells quality products, but I've also seen him direct people to the right gear, even at the cost of not making a sale.

I don't believe it is an industry standard not to sell gear to uncertified divers.

I will sell everything including an empty tank.

However, the line is drawn on filling a tank. The person must be a certified diver, if they are going to use it to dive.

Paintball and other non SCUBA uses are OK. We will fill those tanks.

Is there a credible record of these "industry standards" I hear so much about? Perhaps something with sufficient credibility that it might be submitted in a court.

Let me ask my lawyer(s) - Sharks!

Thankfully, I'm surrounded by " sharks ( lawyers ) "; my sister-in-law, brother-in law, step-daughter & close friends!

I have been diving since 1965, certified since 1976, and not once have I ever been asked to present my C-card when buying equipment or getting my tanks filled.

I have been diving since 1965, certified since 1976, and not once have I ever been asked to present my C-card when buying equipment or getting my tanks filled.

No, but it's probably never been obvious you weren't certified and knew nothing about diving :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom