certification required to purchase equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin,

They probably don't ask for your ID at he liquor store or bar, Do they?

This ultimately comes down to a liability issue, selling gear to an uncertified diver and that diver tries it and they die diving the "new" equipment they in theory could be held liable, and in today's litigious society its very likely it would happen

Same goes for rental equipment and fills, any tanks filled for paintballers or other above water use should have a band on the tanks stating "NOT FOR UNDERWATER USE" thus reducing liability exposure.

I see this as a shop that likely has had bad experiences in the past and/or does not want to expose themselves to potential liability.

in the end it's their shop their rules.

I would not take this personally if you are about to do an OW get your C-card and come back afterward.

At my LDS they will sell a reg to anybody, they will fill a tank for anybody (person filling on behalf of a certified diver, paintballer, airbrush artist, hobbyist).
But they will not rent any part of a scuba to an uncertified diver, but they will rent skin diving gear to anybody because we do a lot of abalone freediving around here which requires no certification.

. . .

But they will not rent any part of a scuba to an uncertified diver, but they will rent skin diving gear to anybody because we do a lot of abalone freediving around here which requires no certification.

Ironically, FAR more people die freediving around here than scuba diving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think the owner/employees of the LDS the OP is talking about misunderstood the OP. IF he said he was buying it and taking a class to get certified, i think that would solve the issue.

I can also understand not selling/renting gear to an uncertified diver. We live in a litigious society,so unfortunately there is a lot of CYA (Cover your Arse).

Paladin,

LOL I don't drink.

But, seriously, I have never been asked to produce my card for a fill, even at shops where it's the first time I've been there. Yet, sometimes, while I'm waiting for my tank, somebody else will come in and the clerk will ask to see their card. Go figure.

went in today, and they ordered the regulator without an issue.
i did have my friend "buy" it but they didn't ask for any qualifications. it came up in conversation but was not required.

the guy who told me that "policy" was not working or at least not out front. at the time i first went in i made it clear i didn't want to dive around here and he wasn't too happy about that, but i wasn't a jerk about it i just said i didn't want to be cold and wanted visibility beyond 20 feet.
i think the shop maybe is mostly trips, training and rentals.

another guy (the owner i think) came out for a chat and was very nice.
i did play i was not into diving but i'm not sure they would have cared.
i ended paying $100 over internet (with tax, $60 over the best price i found online) but i don't mind so much supporting local stores, even if they do not have it in stock which was the case here, and i knew it was ging to be more money locally anyway.
but it is frustrating when local shops do not make it a fun learning experience. it drives people like me to the internet.
(don't get me started on bicycle stores!)

i can see the liability issue, but usually when someone dies from diving i don't think they go around looking for where the equipment was purchased, but what do i know. i guess if you don't die but do something stupid you could bad mouth the store on the news or something?

i should have ordered the octo from him as well seeing the price isn't much less online!

thanks for the help, i appreciate all the comments.

Paladin,

LOL I don't drink.

But, seriously, I have never been asked to produce my card for a fill, even at shops where it's the first time I've been there. Yet, sometimes, while I'm waiting for my tank, somebody else will come in and the clerk will ask to see their card. Go figure.

Next time you are in a store where they don't know you, try to make it look like you don't know what you are doing, like looking at the shiny new titanium knives and saying "I didn't know you guys carried hunting supplies".

I'd be willing to bet you get asked for a c-card :)

While you're at it, you might want to wear a mask on your forehead as well :)

While you're at it, you might want to wear a mask on your forehead as well :)

I only wear a mask on my forehead when I'm on the surface!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom