Certification problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ubergeeksov

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I’ve just returned from a dive trip, the purpose of which was to allow my son to qualify. We attended a PADI centre.

At the end of the course we were told that we needed to pay an additional €140 for the certification, having been told at the start that certification was included in the price.

I refused to pay, expecting to be able to sort it directly with PADI.

I contacted the PADI regional office and they have said that I have to sort it with the centre.

I feel like I am being held to ransom.

Any one have any ideas (other than just paying up)?

Thanks.

Hi All,

I’ve just returned from a dive trip, the purpose of which was to allow my son to qualify. We attended a PADI centre.

At the end of the course we were told that we needed to pay an additional €140 for the certification, having been told at the start that certification was included in the price.

I contacted the PADI regional office and they have said that I have to sort it with the centre.

Thanks.
Was the centre in the U.K?

Do you have a documented contract?

If it's not in writing you have no claim.

PADI is known for excessive fees.

You have the cost in writing that the certification cards are included in the quoted price?

Then fight like a dog they have no grounds to charge you more.

Blast them on social media, state the name of the operation here, make your opinion known with negative reviews (but save this card for when and if you hit a brick wall).

No - in Egypt
Yes - documented agreement
Let the dive operator know you’re going to contact the CDWS for underhand practices. The government’s regulator for diving and snorkelling. All operators and staff are to be registered with them to work legally in Egypt.

pls post the docs so we can review them

Hi All,

Thanks.
Certification? Or certification card?

Your post raises lots of questions for me.

Were you paying for the courses AND the dives AND the certification card? Did your son do the course online in advance or were you paying the dive center for the course?

And did your son bring his own equipment or did the dive shop have to provide it in which case there may be a rental fee

This is not PADI's issue. Your complaint is entirely with the dive center. Only if the dive center is operating illegally/unethically/not-to-standards can you bring in PADI.

With the info you have provided, it is not possible to conclude much of anything.

Certification? Or certification card?

Your post raises lots of questions for me.

Were you paying for the courses AND the dives AND the certification card? Did your son do the course online in advance or were you paying the dive center for the course?
I paid the centre for the whole course, consisting of classroom theory, pool (skills) dives, open water dives, equipment rental, manual and certification.

It was an “all inclusive” price. At the end they then asked for more for “certification”.

I understand that without the additional payment they will not submit the “paperwork “ to PADI to allow my son’s certification to be recorded and certification card to be issued.

PADI have made clear that as far as they are concerned it is nothing to do with them. However, I am unhappy that they operate a system that allows dive centres to behave this way - either I pay the extra that has been demanded, or the money I paid for the course (and my son’s time) have been wasted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom