certification cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got OW Certified in St. Thomas last month. It was $150 for the class, $50.00 for the books and such and we rented all equiptment from them (this was included into the price).:)

I have 4 newly certified kids I understand your feelings on the growing part. They won't outgrow the regs get decent ones. I was lucky enough to find an LDS that had real good prices for the personal stuff. (msfb) Because I will be needing around 200 lbs of soft weight I will be making them myself. There is a post on the board on how to do that. I just bought them each a 6.5 m two piece suit very inexpensive ones for the kids. PM me if you want the address. The BC's is where it hurts, I got them a lil big hoping to get time out of them before they go up on ebay.

hehehe to give you an idea between all of us i'm into this for well over 10. doesn't look so bad when I post it like that.

Take a kid diving, a family that plays together stays together.

Netpro--I'm diving(read outfitting) with my soon to be 12 y/o daughter. Last years low cost wetsuit was out grown before she ever used it. Just bought her a new wetsuit two days ago. I'm hoping the orthodontist is correct when he says that girls pretty much stop growing once they start their period. I expect I'll buy one more wetsuit for her before she graduates from high school. I think all the other gear will work until she's out on her own, unless there is some wear and tear that changes that.

Livestodive

I just looked at my estimates and it will be over 6. I guess your 2 per is about right. What is "inexpensive" for the suits?

jbd

I guess rental for suits might not be so bad.

NetPro
:eek:

Where I work we charge 175 for class fees, 75 for a book packet which you can share and we provide all equipment for the class.

"The $250.00 is not any good"

Ask them why they are selling junk.

1st decide on how much diving you are going to be doing. Then you can make a good choice on your fins. No need to spend $150 on fins you are only going to use just a couple times a year in the tropics. As for the cost of the mask, find one that fits, personally I just looked for one that fit instead of looking for price. I had good luck Mares Target $59.00. Been using the same one for 5 years now. Just bought another as a back up last year.

Just my thoughts

ID

I took a class in school and got credits for it. It was only 110 and no extra cost expect for the check out! 250 must be ripoff.

panda

I recently completed a new YMCA scuba diving course in Indianapolis, IN at the following cost:
Class - $140.00
Check-Out Dives with all rental equipment - $120.00
Purchase of fins, mask, boots, snorkel, and nifty mesh carrying bag - $240.00 (apparently top of the line equipment: Quatro Mares fins, Oceanic Contour mask and snorkel, etc.)

Hope this helps.

My certification costs:

OW Course - $150
Mask (Mares Opera) $65
Fins (Mares Quattro) $120
Snorkel (OceanMaster DryFlex) $70
Boots (DeepSee Reefmasters) $35
Bag (Std. Mesh Duffle) $25
OW Rental Package $75
Florida Springs OW trip $150

Florida Springs wasnt mandatory. I could have waited till the local lakes warmed up for my OW cert dives, but I was impatient.

All together was $690 (or $540 w/o Florida trip)

My OW course cost $250 (Canadian). I didn't have to buy any equipment. The equipment was provided free for the confined water dives but I had to rent it for the open water dives.

Hope this helps.

ER

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom