Ceramic Bottle Find

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octotat:
That's a pretty confident sounding and precise determination, any particular reference you used for that? All my ink bottle searches comes up with short squatty bottles, usually somewhat decorative.

It does seem tall for an ink bottle. What are the dimensions,Octo?

It's about 6 inches to the shoulder. After some additional searching, I've confirmed that that type of bottle was indeed being used for ink, and have found some similar ones on ebay. It also confirmed that it is from the late 1800's. They don't seem to fetch much $$ , but I'm real happy with it.

Very, very nice find!

I used to hunt bottles with my dad, when I was a kid. We used to go under old buildings and also look for old garbage dumps. I would like to start hunting underwater, now.

octotat:
It's about 6 inches to the shoulder. After some additional searching, I've confirmed that that type of bottle was indeed being used for ink, and have found some similar ones on ebay. It also confirmed that it is from the late 1800's. They don't seem to fetch much $$ , but I'm real happy with it.

I'd be happy as hell with that bottle!
Looks like Sean222 knows what he is talking about. I have a couple of bottles I found u/w I would like to have him look at.I'll be posting them soon.

That's because I have found many pieces of Stoneware in the last 26 years of Shipwreck & Bottle diving in Rhode Island & Massachusetts. I have one in my collection. The reason you only saw the squat ones is because what you have is called a Master Ink. You could fill individual ink wells with one supply. Look at the bottom, if it has what looks like a big swirl pattern on the bottom then it was made on a wheel. If not, then it was molded, not always but usually that is the case.

octotat:
That's a pretty confident sounding and precise determination, any particular reference you used for that? All my ink bottle searches comes up with short squatty bottles, usually somewhat decorative.

I vote for a bottle of Doctor Toot's Root Oil.......

Sean222:
That's because I have found many pieces of Stoneware in the last 26 years of Shipwreck & Bottle diving in Rhode Island & Massachusetts. I have one in my collection. The reason you only saw the squat ones is because what you have is called a Master Ink. You could fill individual ink wells with one supply. Look at the bottom, if it has what looks like a big swirl pattern on the bottom then it was made on a wheel. If not, then it was molded, not always but usually that is the case.

It definitely came off a potters wheel, I recognize that from my pottery classes in college. Also, it's not obvious in the photo, but it is dipped in glaze, as the bottom 1/4 inch of the sides is unglazed. My further internet search definitly confirmed your identification. You seem to be a great rescource. You should post more about yourself in your profile. Welcome to the board!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom