Central Florida ocean dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys,
I'm going on a dive trip with my family/ friend May 10- 16. We're heading to central Florida to alot of the Springs; Devil's Den, Ginnie, Blue Grotto, etc. The trip is planned per our DI who is certifying my hubby and his dad. My question is:

Are there any good ocean dives within a reasonable driving distance of this area? My friend and I are already certified AOW and are DYING to go do a more interesting saltwater dive. I've heard about Venice and the Megaladon teeth... this sounds pretty cool, but we're really dying for a pretty reef dive or just somewhere with some beautiful marine life to visit.

We're trying to sqeeze it all in for my friend who really only has the opportunity to go on this one trip until next year when she's outta college. I've dove the Keys and know they are beautiful, but is there anything comparable close to us?

THanks !

West Palm Beach is the closest reef that gives you the biggest bang for your buck, personally. You can find other cities like Pompano and Lauderdale but for ease and great boats, its W. Palm. Check out my site at AmericanDiveInstitute.com to see all the trips we go to from Central Florida.

Good luck diving.

Here's a shop "nearby". On the gulf side so the viz probably won't be as good as the east coast.
Welcome to Narcosis Scuba Center

For something really different, in Venice, about 1 hr south of Tampa you can go fossil hunting for megladon shark teeth. Very shallow water - under 30 feet.
Florida West Scuba School
You can also do this dive off the beach in Venice. You'll finds lot's a little teeth, and maybe a big one.

Otherwise, the east coast has the best diving for seeing tropicals and wrecks. I'd go another half hour further south to Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano Beach. Shorter boat rides, can easily get four dives in if you want. But Palm Beach is very good, too.

For a Central Florida "ocean" dive, I would suggest diving the Living Seas tank at EPCOT. I'm not sure if it is still being offered, but I did it many years ago and it was a very memorable dive. A little pricey, but it is a dive everyone should have in their logbooks. I've done thousands of reef dives, but the tank at EPCOT will always stand out.

While Jacksonville doesn't have the pretty reefs of West Palm Beach it is a lot closer to the northern springs, also, Panama City is closer. Do a web search for both places and make a few calls or e-mails.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom