Central Amer. options for diving w/ my 11 y.o newly certified daughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AllenG

Contributor
Reaction score
I am in need of creative suggestions from you all. I am looking for a diving vacation spot to take my newly certified 11 y.o. daughter. She started snorkeling at a remote 30' site off Isla Mujeres at the age of 6; got Jr. Open Water cert. on her first trip after turning 10 (albeit her fourth trip to Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan); has been out on a dive with Stan Waterman . . . Let us simply say she has high standards for aquatic adventures. So, any suggestions for other Carribean or Central America facilities & locations that are:

1. In that same general price point as AKR. Granted it would be hard to match the $700 p.p. price for AKR's all inclusive package with mass quantities of spectacular diving, but I also don't want to break the bank.

2. Relatively accessible air connections. Too many connections and an 11 y.o gets overwhelmed. I live in CT and just getting to a Miami getway invariably requires 2 flights!

3. Family-oriented. My daughter may think I'm a wonderful Dad, but she likes having lots of other kids her own age around.

4. Sites easily embraced by a new diver.

5. Preferably an all inclusive package. 11 y.o.'s are not known for being culinarily adventurous.

As much as I like the Galindas (and they really are wonderful folks) and could easily be content to return again to AKR, I would like to introduce my daughter to other locales beside Roatan. Any ideas?

I did cross post this inquiry on the Carribean section, but I want something more than the typical big modern hotel in an overdeveloped hot spot that just looks and feels like Miami Beach (e.g., Grand Cayman, Cancun, Grand Bahamas). The AKR feel and the less developed feel of Roatan is more in line with my thinking. And, not surprisingly, a locale without no-see-ums would be appreciated - I could bring along twice as many diving toys if I didn't have to carry an entire case of bug spray!! Which also leads me to ask, is there a thread on thwarting the no-see-um experience? I want to believe that some savvy member of this board has identified the best spray or figured out the dietary supplement which makes those little monsters disinterested!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom