Censorship and SB..how far are we going to take this???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I agree with your sentiments, I think there is a flaw in the reasoning. As you noted above (indicated in bold) different people will behave in different ways.

So to say "if everyone behaves like adults" is a flawed statement. No two adults behave the same and what is acceptable to one may not be to another.
Good point ... but I do think there are some "norms" in terms of behavior that most responsible people can live with.

That said ... I do think the "norm" that is generally moderated to is a bit on the uptight end of that scale.

Cave Diver:
Take Jep for example... :wink:
Jep's pretty easy to take ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The bold is by me to highlight what I'm answering.

How many levels and how much more work can we expect to demand from SB? Well, there won’t be much more added Mod work if everything goes like some want but looks like there is still large contingent thinking there should be at least some separation between General area and new Opt-In Forum/s.

I ask though that where would us prunes with virgin ears go to discuss if the opt-in areas were free-for-all wild west? I wish to chat too but I don’t want to hear smut and I don’t want to be attacked. I especially dislike the idea of being attacked by a mob who already has an idea what they-all think is right and will do it that way anyway ‘allowed or not’. So there needs to be a clear ruling, so one knows to stay out if not wanted. Will us thin-skinned snobs and momma’s boys be “unfairly” treated and not offered this marvelous free reign to discuss non-diving topics too? How unfair! We’d have to sit trembling on the side-lines because we know all the fun is happening ‘out there’ - but go in and you can expect to be called by your body parts or worse if you say the wrong thing. (See example above, how long it took from my first post in this thread for OP to attack me just for disagreeing). I can choose to not get offended but in most cases I would choose not to participate. I certainly would not participate in cuss competitions.

So SB is making the value choice here, either to offer wider discussion options for those who enjoy it one way or the other way. Can’t have it both because you will exclude or limit one group's freedom or enjoyment one way or another. SB needs to make a decision as to what kind of board it wants to be or continue to be. Also how many layers of moderation can SB reasonably maintain both credibility-wise and practically. At this point I am not even aware how far is the discussion about adding this more of a non-diving/discussion type of area? There was a chat function added some time ago but every time I look that area is empty. How is moderation arranged in there?
I think the origin of this thread has become distorted by many, and perhaps lost to those not having followed it closely or arriving rather late. Yes it is a number of posts having several off road excursions along the way. I thought it might be helpful to interject a moment of reality here.

The Non-Diving Related Stuff forum is in existence and many feel controls and moderation are at least reasonable if not ideal. I’m not recalling opinions that it should become The Wild West.

The original suggestion was to:
Create an area called The Wild West (possibly a sub-forum to The Surface Interval??)
A password-accessed place to discuss political, religious, and other topics that can turn into passionate discussions.

Good point ... but I do think there are some "norms" in terms of behavior that most responsible people can live with.
Agreed.

That said ... I do think the "norm" that is generally moderated to is a bit on the uptight end of that scale.
Agreed again.

As you pointed out, the moderation will vary from individual to individual. It may even vary from one moment to the next with a single individual depending on how they feel at that moment, or about the topic of discussion.

Tolerance is a funny thing, easy to preach, but hard to achieve.

As for myself, it's almost impossible to offend me. A few life lessons from childhood come to mind. When someone calls you a name ask yourself "Am I?" If you are and it bothers you then you need to look to yourself for the change. If you're not or it doesn't bother you, what difference does it make?

Finally, I've always tried to abide by the mother/sister rule. If it's not something I'd be comfortable saying in front of my mother or having someone say about my sister then it's probably not something I should say in a public conversation.

Mods are like sharks, you want to know the type and which ones are in the area and develop some sense of that. It will make you a better diver.
[c]:lol:[/c]

Yes...being told you are wrong by 6 or 7 people on a subject that you are passionate about usually goes over really well.

It happens today on SB.

It just that the threads get closed when they hit that level.

No, then the problem is if you cant accept that others dont share your same views than you shouldnt post. Or you should atleast be able to stand up for your beliefs in a respectful manner without threats.

If you cant do that then you have other issues.

No, then the problem is if you cant accept that others dont share your same views than you shouldnt post. Or you should atleast be able to stand up for your beliefs in a respectful manner without threats.

If you cant do that then you have other issues.

Yes it is good to ignore history.

I guess I can put you in the crowd of "Why can't we all be nice on the internet."

O come all ye faithful...

(this carolling break brought to you courtesy of the MTC)

I guess I can put you in the crowd of "Why can't we all be nice on the internet."
Well, it would be a bit boring if we were all cynical pessimists! :D

Good stuff CAN happen - it just doesn't receive as much press.......

I've been a member of a Canon photography forum for several months now. The membership is around twice as many as here. I've yet to see anything like a fight over there. Civility rules. In fact I'm not even sure I've seen anything moderated. It probably is, but I didn't notice it yet.

edit: Oh wait....yes I did. In the Glamour & Nude forum you are only supposed to comment on the technique used in any posted photos. I saw one guy get admonished for commenting how hot one of the models was - and how nice her breasts were! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom