cenotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
Where is most of the good cenote diving located? If staying on the mainland, where is the best: PDC or farther south?

Rich Hagelin

south about 25+ minutes from playa and then about 1 mile or more off the main road. a bit overkill I thought at $8.00 us entrance fee, but we were pleasantly surprised after the hike in.
Have been to other cenotes but Dos ojos had the best features of the ones I've been to.

richhagelin:
Where is most of the good cenote diving located? If staying on the mainland, where is the best: PDC or farther south?

Rich Hagelin

The Akumal / Puerto Aventuras area offers excellent cenote diving that's available to the general public. If you aren't cavern certed you can do guided cavern dives with any number of operators in a variety of caverns. Dos Ojos tends to be often mentioned but I like Taj Mahal better than some others I've dived.

For a nice OW type cenote find a spot called Casa Cenote near Akumal. It's like a 20' deep river with mangroves along one side and a rock overhang on the other. It takes about 40 mins to do an easy swim each way either snorkelling or in dive gear.

If you don't want to hook up with the big operators I have a suggestion for a very competent and careful diver who is active in cave exploration and surveying in the area. He might take you to lesser known sites that he's helped to open. He's actually from my home town and is English speaking although fluent in Spanish. He teaches English to the locals in the Puerto Aventuras area.

JohnF

I've always wished someone would be with me while I'm "holding my breath" at the "Scuba Divers, Unless you are Cave certified do not go beyond this point" sign under the road at Casa Cenote.. always thought it would be a cool freediving photo op. There's a small swim through under the mangroves at the back end of the cenote kinda where it turns off to the right, but the swim through is kinda off to the left. Restaraunt is good right across the street. Not much for features at casa cenote.. and quite aways off the main road.

We dived Carwash, Ponderosa, Gran Cenote, and Temple of Doom from there.

holdingmybreath:
I've always wished someone would be with me while I'm "holding my breath" at the "Scuba Divers, Unless you are Cave certified do not go beyond this point" sign under the road at Casa Cenote.. always thought it would be a cool freediving photo op. There's a small swim through under the mangroves at the back end of the cenote kinda where it turns off to the right, but the swim through is kinda off to the left. Restaraunt is good right across the street. Not much for features at casa cenote.. and quite aways off the main road.

Did a couple at the beginning of January. Not entirely sure where they were, but reasonably close to PDC. Chak Mool and Taj Mahal.

And of course a sign from within Taj Mahal.

holdingmybreath:

I was told there was pretty fierce flow under the road, and it's not a nice dive. You're right about no features but it's kinda pretty in spots, and I'm told there are corcs (or perhaps it was alligators) in the surrounding mangroves although I never saw any.

JohnF

Where you stay depends mostly on what your highest trip priorities are. From your post it seems that ceote diving is pretty high on your list. You also did not mention how long you will be staying nor if you are travelling with other divers or non-divers. With all of that in mind, I would recommend staying in Playa del Carmen. The cenote strip is easily accessible with a rental car, van service, or LDS scheduled trips. I am partial to Dos Ojos. www.hiddenworlds.com.mx runs a safe and great operation. They also have snorkelling in the same area for non-divers travelling with you. Staying in PDC also allows you to take the ferry over to Cozumel and you are only a half hour south of Cancun. Other adventures could be diving off Isla Mujeres, or south of Tulum at Chinchorro. So staying on the "mainland" offers a variety of options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom