CCR Try-dive: I was worse that I imagined and it was awesome!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBlenny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

This is mostly a shout-out to all the people who have answered (tolerated) my numerous beginner questions, it's really appreciated.

By semi-random coincidence I was able to try out a Defender in confined water today--it was eye opening, both in terms of cementing my intention to to get certified, as well as proving everyone here right with regard to how utterly awkward feels after considering myself quite good on OC. I was sure I could pull off a decent hover off the bat since I'd read so much here and elsewhere over the years. I was wrong. Very, very, wrong. Yet somehow, despite looking like an aquatic Roomba, it was incredible and I would have been happy milling around in 4 feet of water for hours to figure the whole new hover thing out.

That said, thanks to all the discussion here, I at least had some idea of what I was getting into, so every time I tried adjust buoyancy by inhaling, I at least knew why I was failing...over and over thanks to muscle memory. I also did not flood the loop, so I give myself points for that at least.

Now I feel even more need to get MOD1 scheduled, sooner rather than later, so hopefully next year (assuming finances remain stable.)

Cheers!

It is your muscle/mind memory. But yeah, join us.

The first 4 to 5 dives are dreadful...then the fun starts, and the wallet drain :cool:

My son and I did a CCR experience dive with Divetech on Grand Cayman when they were still at Cobalt Coast in 2007. We did an hour shore dive at Turtle Reef. I was only good and neutrally buoyant about 25% of the time. I only had about 225 dives at the time, but OC habits were quite difficult to change. It was a blast.

AJ:
The first 4 to 5 dives are dreadful...then the fun starts, and the wallet drain :cool:
I'm looking forward to that, and keep telling myself how much I'll be saving on helium :D (fuzzy math ftw!)

My son and I did a CCR experience dive with Divetech on Grand Cayman when they were still at Cobalt Coast in 2007. We did an hour shore dive at Turtle Reef. I was only good and neutrally buoyant about 25% of the time. I only had about 225 dives at the time, but OC habits were quite difficult to change. It was a blast.
That sounds awesome. I would have loved to spend longer on the unit, but it was more of a demo.

That and diving nice moist air, not ending the dive with cotton mouth. OC diving will suddenly sound like a Harley with open pipes. You may not see them, but you will know when other OC divers are around. Go to bail out and suddenly those bubbles you had been blowing for so long and never paid much attention to are suddenly annoying loud.

There are a few more reasons to justify a rebreather.

It's definitely not an understatement when people say "Did I just make a $10k mistake?" during that first training dive. I know I did! But now, even after only 20ish hours on the loop, I've got a TON to learn, but I'm absolutely loving it!

Back
Top Bottom