CCR trained… still diving OC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very much depends on your diving TBH, I still use OC SM for overhead, I could and do use an RB, but sometimes it's simpler, sometimes it's less kit, and I like the muscle memory and reference on SAC that it gives me.

It's worth keeping your twinset for dil or o2 bank, though.

Not being able to dive oc after getting a CCR is a myth perpetrated by people who just dont want to dive OC anymore. What's not a myth is a lot of those peoples OC (bailout) skills deteriorating. :wink:

Personally, I've been on CCR for almost 2 years. Up til 4 months ago I made most my dives, regardless of how shallow, on CCR to get comfortable with it. Since then I make most dives above 100'/30m on OC and those deeper on CCR. Keeps things simpler for recreational dives, keeps me up on my OC (bailed out) skills, and I dont seem to be constantly ordering more sorb.

There is no right answer but I'm sure somebody is going to argue with me here. I have generally seen two types of people. Somebody who pretty much embraces CCR for every single dive and never/rarely dives OC or the second type who is somebody uses CCR as mission specific and is able to regularly switch back and forth from CCR to OC.

When I first started getting into CCR diving I dove my rebreather all the time for literally every dive to build sufficient hours, experience, and muscle memory however in the past few years I've sort of done a "back to basics" and have been diving OC doubles a lot. I honestly felt that my OC skills suffered after non-stop CCR diving. While it didn't take me that long to get re-dialed in I wish I had just kept those skills sharp in the first place.

At first I feel it's important to dive CCR a lot to build experience but you should still keep your OC skillset sharp and fresh. Diving a CCR constantly your SAC rate will increase significantly if you haven't dove OC for a while. Your breathing pattern is different. When the sh*t hits the fan on CCR and you bailout you suddenly become an OC diver again. This is not the time to realize that your SAC rate sucks and that you're uncomfortable or a complete mess doing multiple gas switches.

I now only really dive my rebreather for dives where I want trimix (arbitrary depth but let's say ~120ft or greater) or cave dives longer than 2.5-3+ hours. My other primary reason is gas logistics. I can show up with a milkcrate of 3L bottles and dive 5 days straight without having to get a fill. 6 sets of rebreather bottles is a lot easier than a cargo van full of doubles when there is no compressor available or you don't want to spend half your evening refilling tanks.

The reality is I really do not need a rebreather for 50-80ft (~15-24m) scallop/lobster dives or even a ~2 hour 100ft (30m) wreck/cave dives. Honestly I'm not the gate keeper for people buying toys but most people do not need a rebreather for a 100ft dive. It's complete overkill but I get it; We all like our fancy toys.

There is something to be said about the simplicity of a set of doubles. Put regulator in your mouth and blow some bubbles.
-No matter how much experience I have on CCR, buoyancy on OC is still so much easier.
-I dont have to worry about what mix I'm breathing if I analyzed my gas and know my depth.
-Post/Pre dive maintenance is easier. I dont have to disinfect / rinse / disassemble a rebreather after the diving.
-I dont have to pack a scrubber
-I dont have to worry about hypoxia or hyperoxia
-I dont have to worry about hypercapnia / CO2 breakthrough (within reason. You can still take a CO2 hit on OC)
-I dont have to worry about flooding a loop or O2 sensors dying, random electronics failures
-There is no 10pm troubleshooting while my rebreather is not holding a negative when I need to dive the next morning.
-I can leave doubles in my van and literally have to do nothing to get ready the next day except fill tanks.

I pretty much lived in Florida last winter and dove every day. The majority of my cave dives were ~2-2.5 hours in open circuit at Ginnie Springs (90ft-100ft) with doubles + stage. My personal opinion is if a dive requires more than 2 stages then I'll dive rebreather.

TL;DR Please keep both skillsets sharp. It will make your diving more enjoyable.

I switch back and fourth a fair bit. I tend to prefer OC for dives that can be done easily on OC, and CCR for dives that can't. I love my CCR but sometimes it's nice to throw on a set of doubles and go for a dive, without all the setup/breakdown time a CCR adds.

When the sh*t hits the fan on CCR and you bailout you suddenly become an OC diver again. This is not the time to realize that your SAC rate sucks and that you're uncomfortable or a complete mess doing multiple gas switches.
Praise be!

It's one hell of a shock to realise your assumption that you're an open circuit guru is utterly wrong and switching gas goes up the Swanee!

There is no right answer but I'm sure somebody is going to argue with me here. I have generally seen two types of people. Somebody who pretty much embraces CCR for every single dive and never/rarely dives OC or the second type who is somebody uses CCR as mission specific and is able to regularly switch back and forth from CCR to OC.

When I first started getting into CCR diving I dove my rebreather all the time for literally every dive to build sufficient hours, experience, and muscle memory however in the past few years I've sort of done a "back to basics" and have been diving OC doubles a lot. I honestly felt that my OC skills suffered after non-stop CCR diving. While it didn't take me that long to get re-dialed in I wish I had just kept those skills sharp in the first place.

At first I feel it's important to dive CCR a lot to build experience but you should still keep your OC skillset sharp and fresh. Diving a CCR constantly your SAC rate will increase significantly if you haven't dove OC for a while. Your breathing pattern is different. When the sh*t hits the fan on CCR and you bailout you suddenly become an OC diver again. This is not the time to realize that your SAC rate sucks and that you're uncomfortable or a complete mess doing multiple gas switches.
I readily admit my perspective is limited since I’m not CCR qualified but this training outlook seems very prudent and resonates with me.

Not being able to dive oc after getting a CCR is a myth perpetrated by people who just dont want to dive OC anymore. What's not a myth is a lot of those peoples OC (bailout) skills deteriorating. :wink:

Personally, I've been on CCR for almost 2 years. Up til 4 months ago I made most my dives, regardless of how shallow, on CCR to get comfortable with it. Since then I make most dives above 100'/30m on OC and those deeper on CCR. Keeps things simpler for recreational dives, keeps me up on my OC (bailed out) skills, and I dont seem to be constantly ordering more sorb.

Very similar to me. First 2 years I did almost every dive on CCR to gain comfort. Now 100+ hours later I'm comfortable enough that I choose the system based on the dive. Simple dives aren't always worth the headache of CCR

Hi,

I’m considering getting trained on a CCR (currently CMAS 2* with some nitrox training). I’ve already tried one (AP Diving) for an hour or so in shallow water and loved the experience. I’ve also read quite a lot about it and find it definitely interesting.

And now I’m wondering: considering the huge benefits of CCR diving (duration, silence, optimized deco, limited gas refill…) do you still dive on OC?
I dive OC only when teaching a class (like OW or AOW) or when my lid is in for servicing. I have an APD and I will even dive it on recreational profiles (~50 minutes, 60 FSW depending on the boat). I will even dive my rebreather when I dive the Frederiksted pier @ max depth 45 FSW. The ability to use He cheaply lets me use it whenever I plan on a dive greater than 90 feet. I have had mine for 2 years and just moved to the St Croix USVI so I can dive, a lot :)

I’m new to ccr, almost 1 year or 70 hours, so I try to get as much time in as possible. For simple dives after work, lazy days or last minute decisions I tend to fall back to OC. It’s so much faster to prepare and clean up compared to CC.
Doing a week of cave diving atm, by the time me and my buddy can sit down and get a drink the other buddy pair is drunk

I allow at least two hours to build and test the unit. I always use a printed checklist which I keep in a binder afterwards for reference.

The biggest faff is topping off the cylinders from my "gas banks", especially mixing the right diluent. I've three twinsets with 100% oxygen, air and a rich 10/75 trimix. From those one can mix almost anything from air through to deep mixes.

The build and close takes about 30 mins; the rest is ensuring the right gas for the dive and assembling the right kit for loading in the car the next day; drysuit, bag of underclothes, dive kit bag (fins, smb, spools, lights, drygloves, undergloves, hood, the list is endless.... ). And the right bailouts for the depth.

Put the effort in the night before and the car load's very quick.

When I dived OC, a lot of this was done days before, especially getting the right gasses for backgas and deco. The build took minutes in the boot of the car. Now I mix my own from the banks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom