CCR trained… still diving OC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is me. I dive my CCR on dives that make more sense on CCR. I dive OC on dives that it makes sense. They are both wonderful tools.
When switching to closed circuit, I recommend students switch to it 100% for the first year. Get the bugs worked out, get everything sorted where things become intuitive. At that point, pick the one that works best for what you are doing.
As a rough guide, how many hours on CCR would you recommend someone to do before changing focus from CCR only to other styles?

From my own experience, 100 hours is where I felt far more in control all the time. Prior to that there was a lot of "conscious competence" going on where it required active thought. Post that time it's far more "unconscious competence" where most things are automatic and don't need thinking about. This especially applies to buoyancy control.

Of course I was "in control" of my CCR way before 100 hours; by the end of my MOD1 it was OK. However, the unit would surprise me or just feel difficult; as if it was controlling me and I had to work hard to control it. Post 100 hours I've seen most of the "difficulties" and deal with them automatically, buoyancy is as good now as it was on open circuit (as measured by looking at my dive log graphs)

Aside from bailout practice, I actively shunned diving open circuit in my first two years of CCR. Now I just can't see the point of not diving CCR -- it's so flexible and nice to dive even on a recreational cattle boat for a ridiculously short dive swimming behind a DiveMaster!

As a rough guide, how many hours on CCR would you recommend someone to do before changing focus from CCR only to other styles?
100 hours is a pretty solid number where everything is second nature without having to give it a thought.
For most Great Lakes divers, that is a couple of seasons worth of diving.

100 hours is a pretty solid number where everything is second nature without having to give it a thought.
For most Great Lakes divers, that is a couple of seasons worth of diving.
Brits too. Typically 1 dive/day so very hard to rack up enormous numbers like the warm-water "I'm a DiveMASTER" mob do.

Long periods of decompression helps with sorting out CCR buoyancy whilst watching the SMB reel bob up and down a few feet in front of you :cool:

New CCR diver and I love my unit way more than OC. I dumped my double 12 due to back issues. I will still dive my sidemount set and single tank backmount when they are the better/more convenient tool. CCR is a very different beast, but a lot of fun. More than I anticipated before training.

When I switched to CCR ( way back in the 2000's). I committed to doing all dive on CCR, other than those over 30m or with long decompression. That was until I had built the level of experience an familiarity up.

I much prefer to be on CCR. Even club diving over a day or weekend, I will dive CCR. If its basic club diving, 35m max deco under 30 minutes. I can normally do a weekend without messing with the unit, unlike my club mates who are running cylinders back and forth for filling.
In fairness, I do tend to get the DIL refilled every evening regardless. Then I have more than enough if I bailout using the BOV and inboard, before switching to the off board.

I find club diving on CCR very relaxing.

And now I’m wondering: considering the huge benefits of CCR diving (duration, silence, optimized deco, limited gas refill…) do you still dive on OC?

Sure because there are also cons. Cost of sensors and sorb, pre and post dive effort, and packing OC backup gas. I constantly live with the mental tension between wanting the freedom of a freediver and the capability of a saturation diver. I probably should have been born a sea lion.

Sure because there are also cons. Cost of sensors and sorb, pre and post dive effort, and packing OC backup gas. I constantly live with the mental tension between wanting the freedom of a freediver and the capability of a saturation diver. I probably should have been born a sea lion.

Once you've paid for sensors, then you might as well use the unit. Sorb' cost is negligible.

The only real issue, is the assembly, then the strip down & clean.
Unlike OC, you can't just chuck the kit in the boot (trunk), and drag it out a week or two later for the next dive.
CCR units do need looking after, cleaning after diving, breaking down and drying properly. Followed by reassembly and test prior to use.
You need a degree of commitment, almost ADHD.
If its been used, it needs cleaning and dis-assembly as soon as possible after use. It then needs careful precise and sequential reassembly, with the correct tests before use.​
If it hasn't been used after reassembly, it needs breaking down again and reassembling before it can be used again.​

That said I was much the same with my OC kit.

Sure because there are also cons. Cost of sensors and sorb, pre and post dive effort, and packing OC backup gas.
Not really. It's a sunk cost: you have to pay that for diving CCR whether or not you use it. Sorb lasts many "recreational dives" and isn't expensive (especially on a Revo :cool: ); diluent and oxygen lasts for many dives.

In exchange for a bit of faff time to build the unit you win out on enormous flexibility and a much nicer dive -- quiet, warmer, doesn't scare the fish, no gas anxiety, easier to use (yes, it's lovely once you know how!)

Bailout is only ever used for testing that it works. Can do dozens of dives before you need to top off.

Once you've paid for sensors, then you might as well use the unit. Sorb' cost is negligible.

The only real issue, is the assembly, then the strip down & clean.

True, but there is a significant difference in the gear burden compared to a single, especially when shore diving or diving off a small inflatable. Then there is also the gear burdon and cost when traveling by air.

Don't get me wrong, the advantages are significant but are not without compromise — which was the question.

True, but there is a significant difference in the gear burden compared to a single, especially when shore diving or diving off a small inflatable. Then there is also the gear burdon and cost when traveling by air.

Don't get me wrong, the advantages are significant but are not without compromise — which was the question.

I haven't dived a single in the sea in years, other than when on holiday, and even then, I'm often carrying a side slung.
My CCR is lighter than the twin 12's, granted, most of the dives mean I'm carrying an 80'.

The gear burden in a non issue. Unless teaching, I've got a CCR on my back, an 80' under the left arm, (a second 80' under the right arm if we are doing mix diving,) and a sodding great camera on the right side. It's the sodding great camera that is the burden, and I seldom dive without it!

As I say, the 'burden' is the prep'ing and cleaning of the unit, not the diving it.

I also seldom dive off small inflatables in the UK.
Granted I don't 'fly' it many places, I have flown it to the Red Sea, and Asia, when the diving has warranted it. Most of my overseas 'holiday' dives are basic diving, no deeper than 40m, no longer than 30 minutes of deco. The serious diving is mostly in the UK.

Gareth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom