Ccr Diver From Ohio Died In Ginnie Springs Today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My nephew's mother-in-law died because of a heart attack that struck while she was diving. The autopsy revealed that she had also had a heart attack a day or so before the dive, an attack that must have debilitated her to some degree but was obviously ignored. I would bet that a close observation of her actions would have shown some signs of a problem before the dive. But how are we really to judge that? How often do we feel a little off, maybe a lot off, and still go on with our lives? If we see someone we don't know well, how are we to tell if what we are seeing is normal or abnormal?

This is especially true as we age. I do not understand how it is possible, but my gear has gotten heavier over the past few years. When I am in a situation where I am carrying a lot of gear around and setting up equipment, it wears me out more than it used to do. At the end of a day of strenuous work, I am much more tired than I used to be. That is a normal part of aging--how am I to know when those aches, pains, and fatigue are not a normal part of aging and are instead something I really need to worry about?

The several stories I have heard from medical professionals about surviving their assorted cardiac issues basically say that denial is very strong. They were all aware things were not going right for some time, but didn't want to acknowledge it or act on it. You will probably be aware that today is not just not the same as yesterday, it is different and not in a good way.

Or it's a bolt from the blue and unless you happen to be somewhere where you get rapid BLS and ALS followed by transport to a cardiac center it's not going to end well.

This is especially true as we age. I do not understand how it is possible, but my gear has gotten heavier over the past few years. When I am in a situation where I am carrying a lot of gear around and setting up equipment, it wears me out more than it used to do. At the end of a day of strenuous work, I am much more tired than I used to be. That is a normal part of aging--how am I to know when those aches, pains, and fatigue are not a normal part of aging and are instead something I really need to worry about?

In the case of a friend that had a heart attack, he couldn't understand why he was tired all the time. That was it; that was the only indicator.

In the case of a friend that had a heart attack, he couldn't understand why he was tired all the time. That was it; that was the only indicator.

I've known several people who have had a bypass surgery before a heart attack and they've all said they could not believe how much more energy they have after the surgery (and initial recovery).

Tired all the time is a key symptom I think.

Back
Top Bottom