Ccr Diver From Ohio Died In Ginnie Springs Today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ted McCoy and his DPV students came across a CCR diver swimming in circles by the Maple Leaf today. They helped him to find the line and then tried to tow him to safety. Unfortunately, he expired on the way out. They clipped him to the line and exited to get the body recovery team going. I've heard he was with an OC diver, but I'm not clear on that.

I have no idea who this was, what CCR he was on or what went wrong with the CCR. Going by the account, it would appear to be hypercapnia, which can cause confusion and even delirium.

Totally sucks!

Pete, if what you heard is correct it's gotta be rough to almost get some one out alive.

Pete, if what you heard is correct it's gotta be rough to almost get some one out alive.
@Tmccar1 told me that you can pick out a CCR diver that survived a CO2 hit by the size of their bail out bottles. Too many divers plan their dive for the best possible scenario and not the worst one. This could have been as simple as a bad o-ring or mushroom valve.

Sad news. People think I'm nuts because I bailout a full Al80 for a 15m NDL reef dive. All I know is that I'd rather get out of the water with too much gas than sit there knowing I was about to punch my ticket because I didn't plan correctly.

I am not picking, but what lead you to this conclusion? It could have been hypoxia, CVA, etc. Either way, very sad. I guess that he was solo.
I believe he was on his bailout.

Sad news. When you venture into diving there is a level of risk you just have to accept. Bad things could happen to anyone no matter the difficulty of the dive. Condolences to the family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom