Tec diver dies in air deep dive challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deleted post

There have been a number of fatalities associated with WUD. IIRC there was a double or triple fatality in southern China, one fatality in Manatee Springs, now this.
I didn't know a lot about WUD, I heard they lost a instructor on 2021. the reason is high altitude, alcohol, unfamiliared CCR,
Oxygen cylinder valve not opened.
罗摩:逝者安息 生者前行 | WUD 2021官方公告

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread has had a clean up

Maybe he was living a life worth dying for, no point in living to a hundred if you can't remember any of it.

There have been a number of fatalities associated with WUD. IIRC there was a double or triple fatality in southern China, one fatality in Manatee Springs, now this.
I checked a couple of reports here in the forum... dreadful

In the oldest accident (Du'an Guangxi), Wang You concluded that one of the reasons was insufficient gas. In the second accident (Manatee Springs), he came to the same conclusion... Why did he not bring more gas to Manatee Springs after the experience with the first accident? He should have known after the accident in China that you always need tons of gas in caves, right?

And now this report of a depth record.

Whether they do not comprehend well the risks, or they do but they are contemptuous of danger because of an overinflated ego - well, it's time to change for them.

I don't agree with what he is doing.
But he think that following the textbook will not achieve his goals.
And he failed.
It's not really a skill to dive deep on air. It's more like trying to get a record in drinking vodka or running head first into a wall without a helmet. Air at high pressure is basically a drug.
In the second accident (Manatee Springs), he came to the same conclusion... Why did he not bring more gas to Manatee Springs after the experience with the first accident?
How is the Manatee accident related to his?
These blind traverses seem to be a thing that locals were doing as well.

How is the Manatee accident related to his?
It isn't really related - I just see a recurring pattern: they underestimate the risks, even if they clearly understand them from a rational perspective.

Have you read those reports?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread cleanup has been conducted. Any further requirements for post deletions due to inappropriate posts, off-topic posts, etc. may result in a thread ban.

People in these incidents were taught by people who use 1990s curriculum. There are instructor trainers with thousands of dives and hundreds of students who do not understand or care about variable sac rates, gas density, decompression models.
They have been pushed out of destinations like Egypt and now work with Chinese divers who culturally don't have the same risk assessment that someone would be expecting from divers who do extreme dives.
The dead diver in this case had less dives total than I do in a year and less than 2 years of active diver experience. He had no idea what he was doing, and once you accept that his decisions make much more sense.

In the next few years there will sadly be a lot of dead divers coming out of China untill they finally stabilize and standardize their scuba training market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom