Tec diver dies in air deep dive challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I can't get my head around the idea that someone who has supposedly completed CCR / deep / trimix training could show such a lack of understanding of such basic stuff. How do you pass a trimix course and then demonstrate no apparent understanding of partial pressures of a gas mixture?
It's pretty clear from the initial blog post in Chinese that he understood all those things...he just chose (out of arrogance?) to ignore them.

I can't get my head around the idea that someone who has supposedly completed CCR / deep / trimix training could show such a lack of understanding of such basic stuff. How do you pass a trimix course and then demonstrate no apparent understanding of partial pressures of a gas mixture?
He obviously was diving off-piste. Ignoring all knowledge about maximum PPO2 because…. ego, crass stupidity, suicide, pig-headedness. As he died, all is conjecture

One other thing I don’t think was mentioned / discussed yet – what gases did he have for bailout? Properly planned, his dive plan would call for 4-5 full-size bailout tanks. Did he even have a Plan B?

One other thing I don’t think was mentioned / discussed yet – what gases did he have for bailout? Properly planned, his dive plan would call for 4-5 full-size bailout tanks. Did he even have a Plan B?
Does it matter?

Does it matter?
If it didn’t, you could have easily ignored my question, no?

Death is always final, without prejudice to one‘s views on afterlife. In that sense, all 11 pages of this thread is just idle talk. For the completeness of the picture though, I’d like to know if he attempted the dive 100% alpinist style, or had a plan in case something went wrong, then couldn’t implement it. Call it curiousity

For the completeness of the picture though, I’d like to know if he attempted the dive 100% alpinist style, or had a plan in case something went wrong, then couldn’t implement it.
It said BO gas was air in the opening post. If it had been tx, the plan would have been just as wacky.

There have been a number of fatalities associated with WUD. IIRC there was a double or triple fatality in southern China, one fatality in Manatee Springs, now this.

C1CBD5A3-D456-4839-9975-53267620C9E3.jpeg

I am really having a difficult time believing the circumstances as reported in OP. The amount of "stupidity," bad planning, rule breaking, etc. is just astounding and unbelievable especially when considering that they are coming from a subject-matter "instructor". For somebody to become an instructor for this type of diving is no trivial matter and requires LOTS of training, knowledge development, countless exams and evaluations, experience and lots of hoops to jump through. I am not accepting the description on face value so far.

I am really having a hard time believing the circumstances as reported in OP. The amount of "stupidity," bad planning, rule breaking, etc. is just astounding and unbelievable especially when considering that they are coming from a subject-matter "instructor". For somebody to become an instructor for this type of diving is no trivial matter and requires LOTS of training, knowledge development, countless exams and evaluations, experience and lots of hoops to jump through. I am not accepting the description on face value so far.
I don't agree with what he is doing.
But he think that following the textbook will not achieve his goals.
And he failed.
1681269868688.png
1681269941326.png

1681270117508.png
1681270436949.png

Back
Top Bottom