CCR Checklists

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mderrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Thanks Mark.
After a recent fatality in Florida I have sworn an oath to my wife that I would use checkists before every dive. I had let that original commitment lapse a little.

Thanks Mark.
After a recent fatality in Florida I have sworn an oath to my wife that I would use checkists before every dive. I had let that original commitment lapse a little.

It's unfortunate that tragic diving events occur; however, at least these events remind other divers of the importance of not being complacent and ultimately end up serving a greater good and saving many lives by motivating divers to rethink their diving practices.

Rebreather diving as a whole is in its infancy, consequently, we all have a responsibility, both to our families and to all future rebreather divers, to set the example and be safer divers!

It's unfortunate that tragic diving events occur; however, at least these events remind other divers of the importance of not being complacent and ultimately end up serving a greater good and saving many lives by motivating divers to rethink their diving practices.

Rebreather diving as a whole is in its infancy, consequently, we all have a responsibility, both to our families and to all future rebreather divers, to set the example and be safer divers!

Isn't that the truth. One thing I remind all my tech students is the dear price others have paid for the knowledge they are about to gain.

All good points.

Using a check list is good.

But I believe we should take the time to look at each item on that check list and know how things are to behave before we tick it.

In other words, not only should you know what IS to happen but also what SHOULD NOT happen on that item.

Let us NOT follow our checklists blindly and for the sake of doing a check list.

Take Care Everyone.

Actually I was surprised to hear that there were no check lists before.

For the PRISM they've been issued from the get go, and I wouldn't prep one without it.
Bozanic copied it in his book, and adapted it to various other units.

ANDI and TDI issue/require check lists for their KISS classes.

IMHO check lists are worth their weight in gold if you're smart enough to use them.

Dive Rite, as with nearly every rebreather manufacturer, has always provided a checklist in their manual, along with a printed and laminated checklist, and both TDI and IANTD require their use. Regardless, my observation is that very, very few divers actually use written checklists immediately prior to entry. Outside of my own students, I've never personally observed the use of a written checklist prior to diving by anyone... ever. For example, at Innerspace 2007, among a group of very highly experienced and well trained ccr divers many of whom were instructors themselves, I never saw anyone using a written checklist besides my sister and myself.

The problem is endmic. The vast majority agrees they are an important tool to improve safety... and the vast majority do not use them. The issues appear to be similar to those use of seat belts.

-- Mark

Regardless, my observation is that very, very few divers actually use written checklists immediately prior to entry. Outside of my own students, I've never personally observed the use of a written checklist prior to diving by anyone... ever. For example, at Innerspace 2007, among a group of very highly experienced and well trained ccr divers many of whom were instructors themselves, I never saw anyone using a written checklist besides my sister and myself.

The problem is endmic. The vast majority agrees they are an important tool to improve safety... and the vast majority do not use them. The issues appear to be similar to those use of seat belts.

-- Mark

As a graduate of Mark's program and a fairly active diver with the Rebreather World Florida S.C.R.U.B.'s in South Florida, I use Mark's recommended checklists for assembling and pre-dive prepping my rebreather, as well as before each and every individual dive; unfortunately, I too have witnessed similar observations locally - Sad reality!:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom