Caymans - Where did the fish go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebuddy68

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from a week on the Cayman Aggressor. We did 15+ dives on Little Cayman. 2 on Brac & 2 on Grand Cayman. Overall, I was a little disappointed. I don't know how else to describe it but it just seemed that there was significantly less marine life than my last visit 3 years ago. Still had a great time because the diving was so easy and I was with my 7.5 yo Son for Kids Sea Camp week. Water temp was a nice and toasty 84.

I asked several people on the boat about this and they confirmed that the marine life is still recovering from the hurricane.

divebuddy68:
Just got back from a week on the Cayman Aggressor. We did 15+ dives on Little Cayman. 2 on Brac & 2 on Grand Cayman. Overall, I was a little disappointed. I don't know how else to describe it but it just seemed that there was significantly less marine life than my last visit 3 years ago. Still had a great time because the diving was so easy and I was with my 7.5 yo Son for Kids Sea Camp week. Water temp was a nice and toasty 84.

I asked several people on the boat about this and they confirmed that the marine life is still recovering from the hurricane.

I guess it depends on the dive sites.. I go to GC 2-3 times a year.. My recent trip was 2 weeks in march where I ran alot of training and felt there was MUCH MORE life on sunset houses reef (both at recreational (after about 30-40 fsw) and technical depths) than in recent years.. We saw several reef sharks, a nurse shark, numerous turtles and eagle rays and of course all the normal reef life..

I have been diving every week in Cayman for the past 12 years & have noticed no recent drop in marine life even after the storm. Was at Julie's Wall yesterday & Turtle Farm the day before & there was tons of stuff out.

We made two dives at Eden Rocks/Devils Grotto in March on a cruise stop and was surprised by the amount of marine life. A lot more that I was used to seeing at Eden Rocks.

<< I have been diving every week in Cayman for the past 12 years & have noticed no recent drop in marine life even after the storm. >>

I agree with Nipi. I also have been diving on Grand Cayman every week, before and after the Hurricane, and have not seen any change in the abundance of marine life.

Back
Top Bottom