Trip Report CA IV Feb 11 to 18 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

electric_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was on the Cayman Aggressor IV from Feb 11, 2023 to Feb 18, 2023. This was the second week since re-introduction to the Caymans. I booked relatively last minute and was by myself because I just needed to get out of town. I picked the Caymans mostly because of the convenient flight schedules.

The superlative:

The food was fantastic. The chef, Carlos has apparently worked on the Turks boat, so some of you may know him. The food however was very rich with lots of butter, cream and salt. Very very tasty but very bad for you. Even the vegetarian offerings looked really good.

The good:
Most of the crew. There were problems and they worked really hard to address them. They were down a member for two days.
The other divers on board were all skilled with good experience.
Relatively few lionfish.
The new cabin layout: the bunks are gone in most rooms and each has its own bathroom. Mattresses are thicker and more supportive.

The bad:

The condition of the boat was not up to Aggressor fleet standards. The Nitrox membrane system was down so we had to dive air. That in turn meant staying shallow and only getting a few minutes on the deeper walls. It also meant longer surface intervals and longer days for both us and the crew.

The door handle on the door between the dive deck and salon broke. The welds on the handrail on the starboard side dive ladder gave way. There was a significant leak from the top deck into the salon. Every time water sloshed out of the hot tub (which did work) it dripped into the salon.
The main coffee maker didn’t work because it was wired incorrectly. It got fixed on the Friday afternoon when we returned to port. The backup coffee maker got a good workout.
One person said their bed was on an angle so it always felt like they were sliding out of bed at night.

We didn’t go to Little Cayman and stayed in the protected side of Grand Cayman. This is my second trip in a row where we didn’t go to Little Cayman.

One temporary crew member. Other passengers described him as a “carnival barker”. I thought he was more along the lines of a used car salesman. He made a point of telling everyone he was only there for three weeks so nobody reading this will have to deal with him.

The ugly:

The reefs of Grand Cayman shallower than 50 feet. They are nowhere near as good as I remember. There was lots of dead coral. All of the species that should be there are there but fewer in number and smaller. Deeper was better but when you are diving air your time is limited so we stayed shallow. For For example, the last time I dove “Devil’s Grotto” there were around twelve 4.5 to 5 foot long tarpon. This time there were only eight 3.5 to 4 foot tarpon.

They still charged us the full fuel surcharge even though we didn’t go to Little Cayman. The used car salesman had the gumption to tell me that the boat used most of its fuel powering the generators.

The verdict:

Unfortunately the reefs of Grand Cayman are no longer a premium dive destination. This destination is only worth it if you are guaranteed to go to Little Cayman and get more dive time along the deeper walls.

Thank you for the write up and sorry to hear it was not the trip you hoped for.

I have heard/read too many reviews of the Cayman Aggressor being below average to spend the money on that trip. Especially if you end up diving the Grand sites, most within view of shore if I remember correctly.

Hi @electric_diver

Thanks for your review. I can't imagine spending the entire week around Grand Cayman, diving air. Did they do anything to compensate for that?

I took the Cayman Aggressor V, before it became the BVI Aggressor and the return of the refurbished IV, at end of 2018. It was also a last minute decision for me to fill free time and I got a significant discount.

With the exception of 2 great dives at Babylon, the reef dives around Grand Cayman were disappointing. I had been to the island many times previously and know there are some great sites, perhaps just not available to the Aggressor boat. The Kittiwake was OK but not a top artificial reef for me, you didn't mention it. I did one of my Kittiwake dives doing Sand Chute, right next to the Kittiwake. We were able to make the crossing and the dives off Little Cayman and Cayman Brac were good. We had to leave Little Cayman a half day early and the crossing back to Grand Cayman was quite rough, among the hardest crossings I've made, glad it is relatively short.

I would advise most people consider a nice land based trip to the Cayman Islands rather than go on the Aggressor. If they make the crossing the trip could be quite good. I would gladly return to Little Cayman Beach Resort, Cayman Brac Beach Resort, or Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers. I had 2 very good trips to Cobalt Coast, sadly, it is gone.

Nice to read an honest report . I agree with you 100% about the decline of reefs especially around Grand Cayman .
Without diving the outer islands it would make for a week of very poor diving , the Nitrox issue is bad news .
I washed my hands with Aggressor after my last trip with them in 2019.
They do not respond well to discontented customers from the top to the bottom .

We did the Cayman Aggressor in 2012 and were not able to make the crossing to LC. I was very much unimpressed with the dive sites we went to around Grand Cayman. For that reason I would never recommend the Cayman Aggressor trip to anyone. Its not worth the dollars spent if you don’t get to make the crossing. But I will say the food was excellent.

Thanks for making a thorough trip report. I went back in 2016, and we did make the crossing, and with the big sale price I had a great time, but people should know that's not guaranteed, and they might prefer to book with a land-based op. on Little Cayman.

Part of why I chose the CA IV was hoping to hit all 3 islands (granted, just the big wreck in Cayman Brac waters) with one trip, and that happened. That said, if Little Cayman Beach Resort often sends a boat over to dive that wreck one day during the week, that'd be 2 islands (technically). If you really wanted to hit all 3, maybe spend 2 or 3 days at a hotel on Grand Cayman after your trip, and do a few local dives.

Thanks for the report. I read the trip logs for the first 2 weeks and they didn't make the crossing either week. Did they give a reason why? I thought this time of year was almost guaranteed. Bringing my family of 4 on the CA first week in April and would be disappointed if we didn't cross.

Back
Top Bottom