Cayman Will Re-Open Borders to Visitors in March 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have someone here right now who tested negative when they arrived, tested positive on day 14 after that and is still in quarantine now on day 34 because he is still coming back positive. I am unaware of any travellers coming in yet who are actually vaccinated unless they are frontline. When we get to that stage I am sure the guidelines will evolve. The test 72 hours before travel is merely to cut down on positives getting here.

Right, but if you are also supposed to show proof of a vaccination, then how could you catch it in the 72 hour window if you are presumed to be immune?
Because Covid vaccines have not yet been proven to do anything but minimize the likelihood of one becoming ill/seriously ill from the virus:

From Johns Hopkins website: COVID-19 Vaccine: What You Need to Know

"...while the vaccine may prevent you from getting sick, it is unknown at this time if you can still carry and transmit the virus to others."

From CHOP website: Questions and Answers about COVID-19 Vaccines | Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

"We do not yet know if the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines prevent infection or if they only prevent disease:
  • Disease means people experience symptoms of illness.
  • Infection means that a virus can infect a person’s cells and reproduce, but the person may or may not have symptoms or be contagious.
If the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines only prevent disease, a person could be infected following an exposure and potentially spread the virus. Additional studies will be completed to determine whether the vaccines prevent infection as well as disease."

Good article here on the topic as well: Vaccines stop COVID-19 symptoms, but do they stop transmission?

We have someone here right now who tested negative when they arrived, tested positive on day 14 after that and is still in quarantine now on day 34 because he is still coming back positive. I am unaware of any travellers coming in yet who are actually vaccinated unless they are frontline. When we get to that stage I am sure the guidelines will evolve. The test 72 hours before travel is merely to cut down on positives getting here.
Like I said, I am not talking about right now. Unless something has changed in the last week or so, my understanding was that starting at the end of March, they were planning to require anybody coming to show proof they have been vaccinated before allowing them on the plane. But they were also going to force them to have a test 72 hours before and immediately after arriving. So if the vaccine hasn’t been proven to actuall do anything other than prevent illness, and if they are going to do the 2 tests anyway, why require the vaccination? As somebody who has MS, where my immune system attacks the myelin in my brain, I am very reluctant to take an unproven vaccine that could cause my MS to get worse, especially if the people requiring it are going to rely on repeated tests anyway.

Like I said, I am not talking about right now. Unless something has changed in the last week or so, my understanding was that starting at the end of March, they were planning to require anybody coming to show proof they have been vaccinated before allowing them on the plane. But they were also going to force them to have a test 72 hours before and immediately after arriving. So if the vaccine hasn’t been proven to actuall do anything other than prevent illness, and if they are going to do the 2 tests anyway, why require the vaccination? As somebody who has MS, where my immune system attacks the myelin in my brain, I am very reluctant to take an unproven vaccine that could cause my MS to get worse, especially if the people requiring it are going to rely on repeated tests anyway.
The vaccines likely will reduce the potential for transmission - it just has not been studied/proven...yet.

The Caymans appear to want to take a very conservative approach, which is their prerogative (and reasonable to me). I would suggest folks find a different destination if they have an issue with the approach that that they may use to reopen. No one is forcing you to do anything!

So if the vaccine hasn’t been proven to actuall do anything other than prevent illness, and if they are going to do the 2 tests anyway, why require the vaccination?

Not sure the vaccine is required since a person can't be forced to receive the vaccine. An unvaccinated tourist will just have to complete the 14 day quarantine....presently. The 14 day quarantine is expected to be shortened as more Cayman residents become vaccinated. From what I've read it seems pretty evident that the Caymans will prefer vaccinated tourists and strongly prefer unvaccinated tourists not plan to travel until a time when 50% of residents have been vaccinated which is expected to be late April/May. The article I read (see below) is suggesting groups of travelers with an unvaccinated member, due to travel in March/April, reschedule to later April/May or cancel until a later date. As more residents become vaccinated, the Covid protocols for traveling to the Caymans should ease.

I'm thinking a reason for keeping the protocols of testing in place is that it is not known just how long the vaccination will last once a person receives it. The vaccination is just another layer of protection. On the surface, it's a great thing, but enough is not known. Of course whatever actually happens will all be dependent on the currently expected amount of vaccine actually arriving to the Caymans, newer vaccines coming onto the market, the effect of the new strain of Covid, what is learned about how long the vaccination lasts, etc....

Not an official source, but seems to be good info: Grand Cayman COVID-19 Updates | Grand Cayman Villas & Condos

The Caymans appear to want to take a very conservative approach, which is their prerogative (and reasonable to me). I would suggest folks find a different destination if they have an issue with the approach that that they may use to reopen.

Agree.

Not sure the vaccine is required since a person can't be forced to receive the vaccine.

Says who? If they make entry into CI conditional upon vaccination proof, and you choose not to get vaccinated, go somewhere else. This is a big world. No one is forcing you to come to the Caymans. Their country - their rules.

Take the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine as an an example. At least 2 weeks after the 2nd injection, there were 11 symptomatic infections in the vaccine group and 185 symptomatic infections in the placebo group, for the 94.1% vaccine efficacy. Diagnosis of infection required at least 2 systemic symptoms or 1 respiratory symptom, along with positive PCR test. There were no severe infections in the vaccine group and 30 severe infections in the placebo group.

So, the vaccine reduces symptomatic infection quite significantly, but does not eliminate it. It very significantly reduces severe infection. The rate of asymptomatic infection in vaccinated individuals is not known.

People with symptomatic Covid-19 infection following vaccination are most likely able to transmit virus. They may be minimally symptomatic and not always recognized. One would assume that people with asymptomatic infection after vaccination can also potentially transmit virus.

The pre-travel and arrival Covid-19 testing further reduces the low risk of virus transmission in vaccinated individuals.

Says who? If they make entry into CI conditional upon vaccination proof, and you choose not to get vaccinated, go somewhere else. This is a big world. No one is forcing you to come to the Caymans. Their country - their rules.
Well, the way I read it, you can come to the island without being vaccinated post-opening up, you just have to undergo 14 days of quarantine. If you are vaccinated and have the test 72 hours before and it's negative and test negative upon arrival, then you do not have to quarantine.

So nobody is forcing anybody to do anything.

Says who? If they make entry into CI conditional upon vaccination proof,

I'm not seeing anything that says it will become a condition so who is saying it will.

go somewhere else. This is a big world. No one is forcing you to come to the Caymans. Their country - their rules.

This should go without saying. Although I'm trying to keep up on the latest for places I intend to travel to (just to be informed), because of the "if this or that happens" I'm personally not too worried about it as the "this's and that's" are going to change. The people who probably have the most concerns are the people entertaining the thoughts of traveling soon, rather than later. I'm in the later group!

I'm not seeing anything that says it will become a condition so who is saying it will.

I'm curious. Did you read the first post in this thread? Or are you just trolling?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom