Cayman vs. Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only big problem that I had with the cayman islands is the cost of food and drinks and hotels and ...well everything was exp!

The wife and I spent a week there a month ago on our honey moon only to realize that we are mexico people.

We dont mind the pedlers,the city markets,the cheap prices:D

GC was nice and quite...it thats what your looking for, that was all right the first few days but after that we were looking for a night life whice GC does not have!

So next time we will go to mexico...but hey thats just to our liking....it just depends on what your looking for!

If you go to the caymans get an all enclusive package...you will save money in the end!

Good luck
Jason

My wife and I just came back from Grand Cayman and bought the same package you are looking at (Aug 9-15). It was great. We walked the beach and looked at all the other hotels, Hyatt, Marriot, etc, and Treasure Island was a better value for the money. The hotel use to be a Ramada so that is the class of room you will get. The room we got was fine, view of the inner court, some flowers and part of the pool, much better than what I had expected since it was listed as a "Standard Room". We really enjoyed the trip and Bob Soto diving was great. The bus picks up at the hotel (dive store is in the hotel) and takes you about 2 miles down the road, quick 5 minute ride. Leave at about 8:30AM and back at 12:30-1PM, there is also a 2PM afternoon dive. Make sure they pre-book your dives prior to arrival as they book up very quickly. When we got our confirmation Bob Soto had thankfully already set a schedule for us which you can change when you arrive (if available). We were there in August and the dive reservation book was full.

Treasure Island is also located in a great spot, you can walk to town, definitely visit Lone Star, best Margaritta's although after one the world will mellow out (double shots). We liked it because we could lay back and relax or walk around. Town is rather dead but better than alot of other islands I've been to. Food was good whereever we went, especially at a small Italian restaurant in town, on the waterfront, forget the name but there is only one. We didn't find the food expensive, just depends where you want to eat. The bars even have free food at night, free pool for divers, etc...

Most dives start out with a Wall dive to about 110', then the second dive is 50-60'. Bob Soto dive operators were great and you can go off on your own with your buddy on the 50-60' dives, even the 110' dives if you get their Gold card. Enjoy your trip, if you go to Cozumel let us know what you think. Our next is Cozumel or Bonaire, just came back from Grand Cayman and Curacao and it was great.

Hello all,

I have always been partial to Cozumel. I just pick times of the year when I know it will not be packed. Usually later November through the middle of December. I have always dove with Aqua Safari and have never been disapointed. The owner is an American ex-pat. that has lived in Cozumel for close to thirty years. His divemasters are usually the best since he recruits the best on the island. A little known secret is that there is a small hotel on top of the dive shop called the Safari Inn. The rooms are not huge and fairly primative (no phone or t.v.)but very clean, have a.c. and VERY reasonably priced. They are not the Plaza by any means, but the primativeness kind of adds to the allure. The best part is, it is within walking distance to everything in town (about 4 blocks from the square).

As far as the diving in Cozumel, I have never been disapointed. The divemasters at Aqua Safari are pretty good about trying to keep you away from the crowds, and generally pick some good sites.

My Wife and I have had the pleasure of diving Grand Cayman, Little Cayman and Cozumel. Up front I must confess that we are very partial to Cozumel. Like Joe, we stay at Fiesta Americana Dive Resort and dive with Dive House(just a walk across the street from the hotel). We go there each May as our annual vacation. The hotel is away from the cruise ship pier and town(a $5 taxi ride). The diving is wonderful as the reef structure is very healthy. It is of course drift diving and that is why you may see more boats in the area of the dive sites than in Cayman(their's are mooring bouys, only one to a site, first come, first dive). From the dock of Dive House you are aproximately 30 minutes from the most popular sites and 45-60 minutes from the tip of the island and punta sur dive site. Dive House has the Experienced Diver Plan where computers and experience are required. Usually the boat has max 8-12 divers with plenty of room. The dive has lockers to store your gear(you clean your gear, which I prefer). There is plenty to do down town if that is your thing. You can party, shop, or just walk around in complete safety. Cozumel is one of the safest islands I know and the value of the dollar to pesos is great.
I would not go back to Grand Cayman because it is too commericalized for us. We like the laid back atmosphere the smaller islands have offer.
As for Little Cayaman, totally different from GC. We stayed at the Little Cayman Beach Resort, last October, and dove with Conch Club Divers. The Reef Divers dive shop are associated with LCBR but, they had some large groups and they had their boats booked up. This was to our advantage. Conch Club Diver owner, Bill Christofers, has a great dive operation. The max we had on our boat at any one time was 8(one day) and the rest of the time is was 4-6 divers. Little Cayman is a very small island with very little to do unless you like to tour the island(highly recommend) and snorkel the beautiful shore line. For the meals I recommend you do the meal packages as there are very few resturaunts on the island not associated with a dive resort. The meal at LCBR are 5 star and they will gourmet you to death with the desserts and entrees(notice I listed the desserts first). As for the diving, you do three tanks a day, two morning(before lunch) and one afternoon(after lunch). The diving is wonderful, totally different from drift diving. The Bloody Bay Wall is a site to behold. As to socialization, you always meet some wonderful people and make great friendships that hopefully will last forever. They have a central meeting area (THE BAR) where most everyone attends each night. Another thing to remember is the Caymanian dollar is stronger than the US dollar so it does cost more to go to the Cayman Islands. The only real draw back to us is getting to LC. The turboprop flight from GC to LC has a weight limit. Since we carry our dive gear, the 50lb weight restriction per person is a bummer. They do charge you for each lb over weight and some bags may not make it over unitl the next flight. Other than that I would return to LCBR and dive with Conch Club Divers tomorrow. (A tip: Our last full day on LC we did not dive because we had an early flight the next day. We packed our dive gear and sent it to the airport,LCBR takes care of this, and it went over that evening to GC when the flights were not full. This assured us that our heavy baggage would be able to depart GC with us. They still charge for the over weight and your baggage is held in a secure area for you to pick up when you arrive in GC).
We enjoy both places. It would be a hard choice. But, for the value of the trip, ease of getting to the island, and the value on the island, I have to pick Cozumel.
Hope this helps.
Burt

We were in Cozumel the first of August and went with a group. We stayed at Club Cozumel Caribe and it was all inclusive. We dove with Anita Divers which you had to the docks to get on their boat. They furnish lunch on the boat. We did 3 tank dives a day and one day also did a night dive for $65 per dive. With this boat if you have a dive computer and you have good air consumption and ifyou can stay down a hour or more the boat will follow you as long as you can stay down. The divemasters will let you dive your dive. And also, they ask the experience level of all divers. They will do more shalow dives for beginners and deeper dives for the more experienced. You get to chose where you want to go and what reefs you want to dive off of. When we were there I saw and petted a nurse shark and we saw two sea turtles, the biggest lobster I have ever seen at the night dive. We went through Adventure Tours.
Sorry TXags92 that you didnt have a good time in Cozumel. We do plan on going back in January or February.

This thread has been quite the informative one since I have yet to visit Cozumel and the sister islands! As a solo vacationer/diver myself, I am now curious to find out which destination Owen finally decided upon!

P.S. How about those Clemson Tigers! Sorry I don't remember any jokes - perhaps you all can remind me!

First, let me say how incredibly impressed I am by all the thoughtful replies to my post. And how nice all you guys have been to take the time to offer your suggestions.

That being said...I've thought long and hard about your input and my choices...Cozumel, Cayman, Cozumel, Cayman...hmmm...O.K. what I've decided is...Wait a sec, that's the phone...

(You'll have to excuse me. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. The Red Sea is neither red, nor a sea. Discuss.)

O.K., I'm back.

In response to afox, this is what I decided: Based on what you guys have said, I would probably pick Cayman. Why? Because I've been drift diving in Guadaloupe and didn't like it that much. I, too, prefer being able to effortlessly hang by a coral head if I want - I like to explore without a current dictating my path.

I've also heard great things about the pristine conditions off Cayman - especially Little Cayman and Cayman Brac.

Finally, while Cozumel obviously offers more topside entertainment, all I really need is a bottle of beer and a sunset. Plus, all things considered, Cozumel isn't that much cheaper then Cayman.

Now, here's the kicker. After all this, it turns out that my work schedule will likely prohibit a diving trip this fall.

Yeah, well.. thanks again folks.

Oh, and to afox: Remember, I graduated from the University of North Carolina. And keeping in mind that the Clemson Tigers have never, I repeat, never, won a basketball game in Chapel Hill, we at UNC feel that it would be ungentlemanly to poke fun at the hoops impaired.

On the other hand, what's up with that goofy paw thing?

Hey there Owen-
Well I have to agree with you that UNC rules in the hoops department, but let's talk again after October 20!
I am kind of on the same page as you regarding Cozumel vs. Caymans; I am going to try to make Cayman Brac one of my next destinations, but I need to work it out so that I don't miss Clemson's Homecoming - haha!

Back
Top Bottom