Cayman vs. Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Owen Page

Reaction score
I'm planning a solo trip in October and have primarily focused on Grand Cayman. So far, the best deal I've found is a 7 night hotel, 6 2-tank, 1 night dive, plus air from Miami package through Bob Soto w/lodging at Treasure Island for about $1350. First question: Is this likely the best deal I'll find there or should I keep looking. Second question: Would diving in Cozumel be cheaper and how does it compare to Grand Cayman? Thanks for your help folks. Happy bubbles, Owen

Also, I found a lodging/dive package with Eden Rock & Sleep Inn for about $900. But with $550 air fare from Atlanta, it comes out about the same. Any thoughts?

They have been advertising "Sister Island Splash" for a couple of months now. I am not sure if the discounted airfare is still available, but the deal I got included air Houston to Cayman Brac, 6 days 2 tank diving, 7 Nights Accomodations at Brac Reef Beach Resort, all meals, and airport transfers for $1199. I did see that they had some packages for $895 or $995 I think that didnt include air, but included 3 dives a day instead. When I purchased my package (Oct 6-13), they were out of the discounted air from Houston, but had plenty left from Miami and Tampa. The Brac Reef page was down when I tried to look, but their address is http://www.bracreef.com

Also, the Little Cayman page does still advertise a $1295 package to Little Cayman Beach Resort available until october 20 that includes the same as the Brac Package I described above except you have to pay for the Island Air trip from GC to Little Cayman which I believe is about $130. They may still have some of those available if they are advertising it on their page. The Little Cayman page is http://www.littlecayman.com

I am not sure how familiar you are with how the sister islands compare with GC and Cozumel, but Rodales had a big article a couple of issues back that if I am not mistaken said the two islands together (Little Cayman and Cayman Brac) won more readers choice awards than any other dive destination on the planet. Its just my opinion, but I would gladly pay several hundred dollars more for a similar length vacation to go to the sister islands than to Cozumel. The diving in Cozumel in my opinion has become overcrowded and what were once pretty good deals on airfare and moderately-priced hotels (read mediocre) now are not such a good buy anymore. The only drawback to the sister islands (it really isnt one to me as I enjoy the peace and solitude) is that there is not much to do topside if you have non-divers along, or if you enjoy shopping and nightlife. The diving at the sister islands in my opinion is the best I have ever seen (my experiences include Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, and Cayman Brac / Little Cayman), and the resorts and dive operations are top notch and always very highly rated in Rodale's reader rate surveys.

Hope to see you in October and good luck finding a deal.

TxAgs92

Owen,

If I wanted to alienate someone here, I could start with some very funny Texas Aggie jokes--most I learned from my son who served in the Marines with a bunch of Aggies--but I will refrain!

I guess I have had a different experience than the gentleman from Tejas. I prefer Cozumel over the Caymans, BUT if I were going to the Caymans, I would go to Brac and Little Cayman rather than Grand Cayman.

That said, I'll suggest you look into http://www.islandream.com/island/index.html if you are looking for a cost effective package. They can set you up with the Fiesta Americana, a hotel/diver resort and the Dive House, a fine scuba shop in Cozumel. The Fiesta is out of town a considerable distance and makes for a very pleasant stay.

I note from your "Bio" that you are interested in night dives. Well, I think that the night dives in Coz are fantastic. I have told folks about the night dives at Chankanab, the local marine park: they have been breathtaking for me.

Maybe the good Tejano has dived in different parts of Cozumel than I have, but I have never felt crowded--and the reefs have always been in wonderful shape. I was there last November and loved it; we are heading there again for New Years...

And, I gotta put in my usual plug for the French Quarter. That is one fine restaurant in Coz that is a little off the beaten path. It is owned by an expat Cajun and he serves damn good Mexican and Cajun food. Give it at try!

Finally, October is the tail end of hurricane season--so you might be in for a little weather. Check the General Travel section where I posted "FYI". It will let you see what the history of hurricanes is for that region.

Have fun diving!

Joewr (a graduate of a very different kind of university than Texas A&M)

I know most of the best ones and love to tell them. (note the gig'em sign in front of the message)

At the risk of re-igniting a 25 year old debate, I wanted to explain my statement on Cozumel vs. the Caymans. I did my first carribean diving with Divi Tiara on the Brac. And I kinda think maybe I got spoiled. Our dives there were perfect. The water was flat, visibility was easily 100+ every day, and we had a current on 1 dive out of 18. Maybe I got spoiled, but being able to dive in and go any way I wanted on the reef and not have to follow a thundering herd of divers is very high on my list of enjoyable dive location characteristics. My experience with coz may have been less than the ideal one, but my reasons for saying I liked the sister islands better are as follows:

1) Crowds:
Cayman Brac - We SAW other dive boats not from our resort twice in 6 days of diving, and that was on the trip to the Bloody Bay Wall at Little Cayman (we did 2 days diving in Little Cayman, and 4 in Cayman Brac). Not once did we share a dive site with boat full of divers, and we never had to sit and wait for another boat to drift away before we could get to where our divemaster wanted to begin our dives. Our average boat load was 10-14 divers on a 42 ft well equipped boat with plenty of room and plenty of speed to get us from one site to the next and back to the dock. We were almost always the first diver on the site that day (except 2 of the bloody bay Wall sites and in many cases were probably the first divers that week. With the lack of currents, we could dive any direction we chose and only had to follow the DM and other divers if we wanted to.

Cozumel - We dove with Dive Paradise. Unless we wanted to pay extra to get on a "fast boat", we were stuck on a 30-36 ft boat with 16-20 divers with very little room to move about, and not enough room to hide from rain squalls. The boats were slow...very slow. The ride to palancar on average took nearly an hour...one way. That didn't include going dock to dock to pick up other divers. Once in the water, you were stuck with your DM and the group you were diving with, and could count on somebody else always having to be at the front of the group to scare away anything interesting to look at before anybody else caught up enough to look at it. More often than not, we were the 2nd or 3rd group of divers on each dive site that day, and finding a sleeping nurse shark or an unmolested stingray in the sand was nothing more than a fantasy.

2) The currents:
Cayman Brac - I like to sit and look at interesting things. I despise the "window shopping" method of diving where you swim (or drift) along and glance for a few seconds at everything until your eyes glaze over. It is not uncommon for me to spend 5-10 minutes of a 45 minute dive inspecting one coral head or hovering and watching cleaning station. With no currents and no thundering herd surrounding me, I was free to do this as long as I pleased.

Cozumel - While I appreciate the "ease" of just floating along and not having to swim, I hated having to find a hole to hide in to try to stop to look at anything. And if I wanted to stay longer than a minute or so watching, I was definitely going to get a dirty look from the DM who had to wait on me and from my buddy if the hidey hole was only big enough for one diver. See my comments above on "the thundering herd" making sure that anything interesting got flashed to death by camera strobes before I got there because I tend not to try to race out in front and be the lead diver in the group.

3) Convenience:
Cayman Brac - The resort and the dive operation are integrated. When we showed up, we put our gear in a bag with a number on it and didnt touch it the rest of the week except to dive with it and rinse it after the dive at the dock. We signed up each night on a dry erase board at the dive shop for which boat we wanted to dive the next day from. Each boat had a listing for what DM, what Capt, and what area they were planning to dive. When we came down in the morning, our gear was on the boat, we got on the boat and went diving. You could also see who else was already signed up and avoid any "problem divers" you had seen on previous dives. Between dives and after diving for the day, our meals were included, the food was fabulous, and we could relax on the beach and enjoy the sunset.

Cozumel - Our hotel was across the street from Dive Paradise and a little over a mile from town. Dive Paradise did not provide anywhere to store our gear and their rinse facility left a lot to be desired. In between dives if we wanted lunch, we had the choice of a mediocre nearby restaurant, a trip into town for lunch, or snacks we purchased. After the dives, we had to drag our gear up the hill to the hotel, try to find a place to hang it all to dry and still be able to shower, and then take a taxi or walk a mile or two to get a decent meal that was not included in the price of our trip. If you wanted any decent beach, you had to take a taxi the other direction several miles. Oh yeah, and the cost of the taxi is not included either.

4) Value:
Cayman Brac - My trip to Cayman Brac in another couple of months will cost me 1199 to include airfare, accomodations, 2 tanks per day of diving, and all meals for 7 nights and 6 days diving. I will probably add a 3rd dive 2 or 3 of those days and might do a night dive (might even be included), which will add about $150-200 to the total.

Cozumel - Knowing that the hotel and the dive op we used last time were not the best available, I priced several 5 and 6 day trips to hotels and dive ops in Coz. What I found was that for 5 days diving in a decent hotel with an in-house dive op that was recommended by several friends, without meals included, I was going to pay about 900-950 dollars for 5 days 2 tank diving, airfare, and transfers. I you add a 6th day of diving, a 3rd tanks for a few days, and the cost of a night dive, and about $150-200 each for meals and taxi rides to restaurants, I would pay about the same to go to Cozumel or Cayman Brac.

I think for many, the lure of Cozumel is the whole experience...the shopping, the culture, the camaraderie of being around friends and having fun. The diving is good (don't think I was trying to say the diving wasn't good), but to me, the diving in Sister Islands is better. I have had friends tell me that Grand Cayman is very much like Cozumel when it comes to crowds, but the sister islands are a different world. I think both places have suffered from their own popularity. The cruise ships coming to Cozumel seriously killed the "sleepy dive town" image it carefully cultivated for 20 or so years. I also have seen airfare from houston skyrocket and hotel prices have gone up a great deal as well as Cozumel has tried to keep up with the high-priced luxury hotels in Cancun. What was once a great value to have good diving in a great atmosphere is now (at least to me) an overcrowded, overly touristy, dive location with at best moderate value for your money. It all depends on what you look for in an experience, but for me, the quality of the diving and the relaxation value of the vacation are key to my enjoyment. I did enjoy my trip to Cozumel very much despite the list of reasons I cited above. But in a dollar for dollar comparison of the enjoyment value I get from the trip, the sister islands win hands down.

TxAgs92

TxAgs92 -

Based on your description, the Sister Islands sound wonderful and may have to be our next trip! We are actually headed to Cozumel in 2 weeks and really looking forward to it but we've thought about Little Cayman or Cayman Brac many times and reading your post convinces me it's a place I should go! Last year we went to Guanaja (least visited of the Bay Islands) and loved it - in some ways, your descriptions remind me of some of the things about our trip.

I have a question - are the resorts you mentioned adult only oriented? We have a 7 year old daughter - if travelling without her, in some ways I prefer adult only places - on the other hand, it's getting very hard to leave her home (she was very unhappy about our Honduras trip!). We are taking her on the upcoming Cozumel trip - actually, one of the reasons we chose Cozumel was because she's going too - it seems that more out of the way places have less child care options.

Let me know!

Joe -

Yes, I remember - the French Quarter! Can't wait to go!!!!

Owen and Ag,

Splooshhhhh--That is water I am using to NOT ignite the 25 year-old debate. Well, Ag, we seem to agree on one thing emphatically: the Sisters are better better than the "Mom" if you want peace and quiet and good diving. And,yes, there are basically no "tourist" accommodations on those two islands. That is, there is almost non-existant shopping and there are a very, very limited number of places to eat. Point One where we are in agreement!

And, it that regard I must run the gauntlet and risk offending someone: if you do go to Grand Cayman, Soto's operation has too many folks per boat for my taste. I guess that is Point Two where we are in agreement.

The experience at Cozumel depends on where you stay and with whom you dive. Hence, I mentioned a place and a shop with which we have had good, no, excellent experience. Fiesta is out of town and,if you want to go into town, you take a taxi for ca. $5.00 (American). The Dive house has several boats of differing sizes. We usually request the one that takes 8 divers. The others take 12 as I remember. The former is okay for us and the latter is marginal. My guess is that we agree on this, which I will dub Point Three.

I like all sorts of diving and drift diving is fun for me. The currents at Cozumel are usually very pleasant and I have never felt rushed. However, I have experienced some very swift currents on occasion there; once we did a dive that featured a 4+ knot current and it was like Dorothy and Toto being blown out of Kansas! But that was the exception. So, Point Four, drift dives will have to be put in the Disagreement Bin.

I could go on, but some tasks are beckoning me--son and grandson arrive soon for a week-long visit. So, it looks like Ag and I (or is that Egg and I?) agree on 3 of 4. Not bad for complete strangers! And Owen, it looks like you have a very pleasant choice in front of you. I hope we helped. But if you have more questions, it looks like you have two very willing respondents. Ag, forgive me for presuming to speak for you: the devil made me do it.

Say, have you ever heard the one about the Aggie who.................

Joewr

Joe & Ag,

First, let me say that I lived in Dallas for eight years and have heard plenty of Aggie jokes. However, I was brought up in North Carolina and went to UNC - and I have to say that N.C. State jokes are much funnier. There, I think I just managed to offend the entire state of Texas.

As for diving...

Ag, Cayman Brac sounds great - I, too, like the idea of pristine reefs, no crowds and great service. (I also don't much like drift diving.) Fact is, I called Brac Reef Resort for a quote and got a good deal - even for a single diver. ($250 more than yours.) But that's the thing, as a single diver, won't I be bored to death on Cayman Brac? I mean, I don't need to party hearty, but it would be nice to have folks to socialize with between dives. What do you think?

Also: What about the diving off GC? Is it worthwhile - or would I be kicking myself for getting so close to the Sisters and missing them?

Joe, I called Island Dreams and got a fairly good deal with Dive House and Hotel Bahia. The 7/6 deal plus air fare from Atlanta comes to about $1,100 - not including meals. Not bad, I guess.

Anyway, I really appreciate the thoughtful responses. Thanks again for the advice, guys.

PS: A Carolina fan and an N.C. State fan are in the bathroom at halftime of a football game. The N.C. State fan zips up and goes to wash his hands with soap. The Carolina fan simply does a quick rinse and starts out. The State fan, disgusted, calls over his shoulder, "At State, they teach us to wash our hands after we pee." The Carolina fan stops at the door and calls back, "At Carolina, they teach us not to pee on our hands."

Owen,

If you believe that, I have a bridge that crosses the Golden Gate that I want to sell you!

Okay, there is nice pool there you can do some apres dive socializing at. And I have found that divers world wide are bascally friendly and will chat with anyone--even me! So, not to worry about socializing.

And, if you want a change of pace, try the Captain's Table for lunch or dinner. I would not try any other restaurants on Brac (that are not part of a resort) because I have already done that and used up the Peptol Bismol.

GC--you gotta ask someone else: I am just not a fan of the diving on GC.

EXCEPT that dive at Stingray City is not to be missed!

Ah, yes, last time we went to Brac, we flew "directly' there from Miami. Actually, there was a stop in GC, but we did not deplane. My guess is you can still do that.

And one more thing--am I verbose or what?--if you chose to go to Little Cayman from Brac, the boat ride can be a little wild. It all depends on the seas. Normally, the dive shop will warn you if the seas are rough in case you are prone to mal de mer.

And one more thing (Doesn't that guy ever stop?). If you choose to stay on little Cayman, bring along a lot of mosquito repellant! It is a very swampy area and they do not want to do abatement in order to preserve the environment.

Joewr (the short of breath)

Actually, I heard that UNC folks washed their hands after using the bathroom facilities and NCS folks did so in advance. And both parties departed the lavatory cleaner.

Five aggies are driving down the road. The driver is drunk and drives off of a bridge into the river. The two in the front made it out alive and swam to safety. The three in the back unfortunately perished....They couldn't get the tailgate open.

Lucia, in answer to your question, my experience with the Sister Islands was very similar to my trip to Bay Islands Beach Resort in Roatan. As for the "adults oriented" aspect I really can't tell you for sure. I don't recall there being any children at Divi Tiara when we were there before, but I think I recall seeing some children's programs advertised on their webpage. I tend to feel the way you do, I don't have kids, and generally don't tolerate them well when I am on vacation unless they are the rare "well-behaved" subspecies of Homo Sapiens Brattus. I am scraping my memory (no Aggie jokes here please), but I believe one of the Cayman Brac Resorts may have a policy prohibiting kids under a certain age, and then kids between that age and 16 or 18 have to be enrolled in one of the programs or daycare type activities so that they are not a nuisance to the other guests. Try looking at the Divi webpage to see if thats where I remember seeing that. If you are worried about public nudity around your daughter or anything like that, topless sunbathing is prohibited by law in the Caymans, although I do believe there are a few places it does happen. I think on our honeymoon at Divi, there was a german couple who were subathing at the far end of the beach away from everybody one day and the wife may or may not have been topless, I couldn't really see...er..uh...um...I mean I wasn't looking at anybody but my wife...it was my honeymoon! Either way, it doesnt seem to be widespread the way it is in other places in the Carribean.

Owen, as for the socializing, I can't say that there was a really active social atmosphere at Divi Tiara, but I was on my honeymoon, so I was not paying alot of attention to anybody else (wink wink). I remember everybody being really friendly on the boats and at meals, and I think at resorts like these where you are together with the same group of people for diving and meals for a week or so, there would be plenty of room for making new friends and so forth. The ad on the webpage for the Splash deals added that there would be games, contests, and prizes to be won, so it may be that this is the time to go if they are going to be making a special effort to provide additional topside activities. Somebody who has been to Brac Reef before or to Little Cayman might be able to tell you more about how socially active those resorts are, my thoughts are that had we put any effort into it, we could have made plenty of friends at Divi. As with any vacation, the people you are there with will make it or break it, so if you have a good bunch at the resort when you are there, I bet you will have fun. But if it is a big concern for you, Cozumel or Grand Cayman might provide more guaranteed entertainment value if the guests at your resort are duds.

Joe, our rides across to LC were very smooth. It was great to sit up front and watch the flying fish in front of the boat. I can see where it might get kinda busy out there with the wrong kinda swell though. Have you ever been to the Caymans in late September or October? I am just wondering about water temps. I would assume they will still be in the low 80s, am I wrong?

TxAgs92 (Bill, since we are on a first name basis)

Aggie Bill,

My name is actually College Station: where did you get this "Joe" idea from?

I can only interpolate: low 80's in Summer; high 70's in December/January; ergo, 80 in September/October. I checked all my guide books and they only refer to vis, not water temp.

Been a real pleasure e-talking with you. Let's do it some more someday!

Owen, dream up another trip that Bill and I can tackle--hey, you can even invite us--at your expense, of course--along!

Joewr

Back
Top Bottom