Cayman - Picture of the Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, that Hero3 looks like something I would love to try as well.

Here's a colorful image that I took off Grand Cayman:
File0137.jpg

Coloration, the ability to change your spots with the light or the texture of the background is a specialty of the Peacock Flounder, Cayman Brac.
File0199.jpg

File0198.jpg

---------- Post added February 18th, 2013 at 01:33 PM ----------

Coral banded shrimp on Flame scallop, Little Cayman
File0195.jpg

Hugh, did you ever make it inside the wreck they used to have at East Chute off the west side of the Brac?
File0073.jpg

Yes, I've been inside the wreck the Cayman Mariner before it collapsed (or bow got torn off). Here's an old pic of a friend, Bea Wilcox, coming out of the bridge...sometime in the 1990s:

bea1echute.jpg

FYI, there's an old anchor buried in the sand not far from where the Mariner's main hull still lies...

To navigate to it, go to where the Cayman Mariner's bow SHOULD be (if it were still attached), then swim forward & right - - along the sand/coral edge. IIRC, the anchor is buried in the sand, parallel to the edge (fluke away from the Mariner), probably 30-40-50? feet from the wreck. I usually spot the coral/sponge encrusted fluke sticking up out of the sand and then look for the shaft ... it depends on the sand movement as to if the main shaft (laying horizontal and parallel to the 'edge') will be visible or not.

I'll have to dig up a photo of it, as it is pretty hard to spot the first time.

EDIT: found one pic ... not very good for locating it, but it gives you an idea...I'd probably use that Sea Plume (left) as a landmark reference .. it is on the Cayman Mariner's side:

anchor_cayman_mariner-0984.jpg

-hh

Last edited:
A common scene, yet a beautiful relationship. The bar jack follows the stingray and as the stingray digs for it's dinner the bar jack benefits a side meal. Cayman Brac.
P4040514.jpg

At Turtle Reef there are many hundreds of garden eels, more than I've seen anywhere else. It's fun to try to sneak up on them to see how close you can get before the disappear into the sand.

There are many types of Goby's, this particular one is very common. This type often poses nicely for photos, the Bridled Goby, Cayman Brac - south side
File0143.jpg

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2013 at 06:49 AM ----------

Trumpet Fish come in different colors, some of the colors at Cayman are:
Blue
FileB0012_zps9bdb161d.jpg

Yellow
FileB0011_zps876ea0c3.jpg

orange/red
File0048_zps95b52a8e.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another one from the days of film....

Fall 1996 .. I believe that this might have been taken at Magic Roundabout on Little Cayman.

I've had this one hanging up as an 8"x12" Ciebachrome print (remember those?) for several years.

wall_40%25.jpg

Nikonos V, 15mm, ISO 100 slide (not sure which kind).
I'm also not sure when/how this one was scanned; file was dated March 1997.

-hh

Back
Top Bottom