Cayman - Picture of the Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M0011079.jpgM0010387.jpg

Free the turtles. The fact we have magnificent animals confined in filthy pens is disturbing. The Turtle Farm only massacred about 30 turtles this year due to poor care.

I hate animal enclosures. Zoos that are well run are marginal, but sometimes are needed to preserve the species. Poorly run zoos and tourist attractions should be shut down. If someone put you in the nicest mason with food, etc. would you be happy?

It's auto-correct via Tapatalk 2, figure it out. :D

View attachment 143210View attachment 143211

Free the turtles. The fact we have magnificent animals confined in filthy pens is disturbing. The Turtle Farm only massacred about 30 turtles this year due to poor care.

Not sure about what you mean by massacred, but the darn place is a FARM who's first mission is to raise the turtles as food for human consumption(that is what farms do). :confused:

The facility's second mission is that of a tourist attraction to help maintain GC as a viable port for the cruise ship crowd, by providing a unique attraction. :wink:

The Farm's third mission is to release a few turtles back into the wild to help offset the loss of legally caught turtles in Cayman waters by the remaining licensed hunters; and more importantly provide people with an excuse to forget the primary objective of a farm. :)

Free the chickens indeed! :shakehead:

The turtles were killed when the filter system went down due to incompetent husbandry. The farm is by no means a way to help turtle conservation. Simply a way to torture and gain profit. In most of the civilized world, this would be deemed cruelty, and be criminal. I won't defend USA farming methods, but turtles aren't a necessary food group. By arbitrarily releasing captive turtles, genetically weak and those that may not have survived naturally, may weaken the wild stock. Developed from millions of years of success, I feel interfering such as this will hasten their extinction. Simply letting them exist and breed as they were meant to will be their best chance. Supporting such a barbaric facility lets me know the Cayman government has no desire to protect it's natural treasures. Greed is an original sin. Educate with books, defend the laws and until the turtles are off the CITES list, no hunting. The world evolves and some old customs should be retired, such as turtle hunting. In conclusion, the turtle farm is a legal way to harass and abuse a species unable to protect itself for profit. Shame, shame , shame. The next thing you know Cayman will keep dolphins to torture. My bad, they already do...

Not here to defend or support the Turtle Farm, just to point out some common misconceptions and inaccuracies. The Farm's losses amount to millions of dollars a year, far from turning a profit on the shells of the turtles. The acceptability of what foods are deemed acceptable vary from culture to culture, I try not to impose my judgments on what is proper for one to consume onto others.

Chinese love shark fin soup, millions of sharks murdered, a whole ecosystem destroyed. Rhinos, bears, elephants, and others poached and hunted to brink of extinction for old, antiquated cultural customs. About time someone judges before it is too late. Sorry I'm on the wrong forum, i should be on the conservation forum. Just thought i would show a picture of the ugly side of Cayman. The fact they lost money is good. We don't need to have human sacrifices, burn witches or eat turtles. Quit eating Bluefin Tuna, Swordfish, Whale, Grouper, Seal, and on and on {all cultural or regional foods} . Our fisheries are so damaged, because of greed and stupidity, recovery is unlikely.

You're right, but to quote Churchill,"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Cheers

No, they are torture chambers as well and need to shut down too. Same with SeaWorlds tanks of despair. Enjoy wild Cayman. Tagged Stingrays were found in the Dolphin enclosures, no one knows how.Must have walked over the fence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom