Cayman - Picture of the Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why leave out the occupied version? :D :D
You need to post more on this thread. You have some great shots.

Thank you .... okay .....

Martha_Chair_2.jpg

April 2012...off Little Cayman
P4040526-1.jpg

---------- Post added December 14th, 2012 at 07:37 AM ----------

It seems very dark at this depth, it's the middle of the day, actually a cool black darkness surrounds this dive, without lights you would see nothing as we are at over 900 feet in depth of seawater...diving in the research submersible off from Grand Cayman, on the west side a few hundred feet from Georgetown.
There's just enough room for my wife and I sitting in front of the bubble of glass, our sub has now dropped over 900 feet and we are near a precipice or a cliff if you will that at this point drops off for thousands of feet. Right here on the edge of a cliff the sub driver who is the only one aboard other than the two of us informs us to watch as the lights are going to come on located on the articulated arms of the sub. My wife and I sit in anticipation, staring into the black void when suddenly..." whoosh" the light baths the ink colored water into a scene on a wreck,we see in front of us is the wreck of the "KIRK PRIDE"
We see rusticles hanging off parts of the wreck, the wreck has only been here a short time, it was sent here in a hurricane storm. A few very small fish flirt with the wreck in our lights, we can see weird shapes nearby of stalked creatures that look very much like four foot tall black flowers, but the wreck absorbs our attention as we slowly move over it and around it. Although we both scuba we have never been this deep, it is an exciting adventure and we may never see these sights again. It is very calm and quiet except for the whirring of the electric motor. After we view the wreck we are going to go up to the 600 to 300 foot level where the sponge belt starts, where the colors abound with brightness, but for now we concentrate on seeing this wreck and what the visual has to offer...I take several photos, I will enjoy these for many years to come!
KirkPride1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the photos and the write up on the submersible dive. 900 feet, outstanding! I get excited inside just thinking about it.

Wow, thanks for the photos and the write up on the submersible dive. 900 feet, outstanding! I get excited inside just thinking about it.

That sub dive was once in a life-time experience, now that sub sits in downtown Georgetown as a museum piece right across from the shopping area and within sight of the Georgetown harbor. They don't allow anyone to go on the sub anymore, this is a shot of the top of the sub before we got in, the top turret with the holes is where the sub driver looked out, we sat in front of a huge half dome of glass maybe four foot in diameter.
submersible.jpg

To see wire whip corals on the seabed on the way up to the sponge-belt was another incredible sight, but that sponge belt was the most colorful thing underwater that I've ever seen right around the 300 to 400 mark in depth. Sorry no photos of that sponge-belt.

---------- Post added December 16th, 2012 at 11:07 PM ----------

Off the shallow north side of Brac

File0177.jpg

Last edited:
Off Cayman Brac:

P4010145copy.jpg

---------- Post added December 18th, 2012 at 12:06 PM ----------

On the way to Rum Point, the Retreat sits on the waters edge...
Image200.jpg

File0131.jpg

Picture from Litttle Cayman Feb 1st 2010. Heading back to LCBR Feb. 3, 2013

Little Cayman Feb12010 018.jpg

Off Little Cayman, such a clear water day gave a nice profile to the growth at the top of the wall...
File0111.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom