Cayman - Picture of the Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back then long spine sea urchins were everywhere and my memory is that we were lead to believe it was a problem and feeding them to the fish was encouraged. That was also at a time that we carried big old dive knives. Would not try that now with the iddy biddy knives we carry today. I also remember hugh tracks of elk and stag horn corals at most shallow sites right off 7mb which are mostly gone today. Sorry don't remember Sweet Lips.

I remember Sweet Lips. Big Goliath that used to frequent the OV wreck. I was also one of the guilty divers who tried to feed the fish. In fact, I remember that they used to sell cheese Wiz and fish food in the dive shops. We also used to feed dog chow to the turtles that came in to shore where Victoria House was. Now we hopefully all know better.

I also fondly remember going out spear fishing in the North Sound with one of the old time captains, Solomon Ebanks. He would entertain everyone on the boat ( especially the girls ) with jokes and stories. At lunch hour, he would make a fire on the beach at Rum Point to cook the fish and lobster we caught. There was nothing at Rum Point except for a thatched roof bar that sold cold beer. Ah, the good old days.

108DF955-B92D-4531-AD87-9665D4B3F264.jpeg
Brac sunrise

Doctorfish we did the same with a Capt ebanks. We would snorkel in the sound and he would clean a conch on his boat and cut it into strips served with hot sauce on crackers. We would then spear or grab lobster and cook on a fire at run point. The old photos at run point in the bar capture pretty well what I remember from way back wheb

I remember Sweet Lips. Big Goliath that used to frequent the OV wreck. I was also one of the guilty divers who tried to feed the fish. In fact, I remember that they used to sell cheese Wiz and fish food in the dive shops. We also used to feed dog chow to the turtles that came in to shore where Victoria House was. Now we hopefully all know better.

I also fondly remember going out spear fishing in the North Sound with one of the old time captains, Solomon Ebanks. He would entertain everyone on the boat ( especially the girls ) with jokes and stories. At lunch hour, he would make a fire on the beach at Rum Point to cook the fish and lobster we caught. There was nothing at Rum Point except for a thatched roof bar that sold cold beer. Ah, the good old days.

Unfortunately it wasn't so much the feeding of the turtles that caused an issue, but rather folks grabbing on to them for "rides".
Feeding Sweet Lips Cheeze Whiz was a hoot. The fish would come up to you, drop his lower jaw, and you would balance the nozzle on his lower lip while spraying. Your right, thankfully, we have learned through our mistakes, including feeding lionfish to snappers, nurse sharks and moray eels.!

Loved the bar at Rum Point in those early days.Recall the guys spearing for lunch and the conch doused with PP sauce on crackers, which my daughter willing ate, until she discovered conch had eyes.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom