Caye Caulker Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm getting ready for bed, sitting here in Caye Caulker :) I'm staying at Tropical Paradise, its a nice place with a cleaning service and private baths. The room i'm staying in doesn't have A.C but its because i'm paying $22.50/night :p There are rooms with AC if you want it. From talking with people here Barefoot and Tina's Hostel are also very good but also cheap.

The one negative of Tropical Paradise is its all the way on the other side of the island from Frenchies, so its a decent hike in the morning for dives. Its right next to Big Fish if you want to use them.

I've been here since June 26th and I'm staying until July 5th... We've done all our dives with Frenchies and have had a really good experience with them. We've done Spanish Bay, Caye Caulker, Caye Chapel, Turneffe's (North, Elbow, etc), Blue Hole (Half Moon Caye, Aquarium), Hol Chan, and Coral Gardens. The dive masters have given great dive briefs, worked with people who were newer, and always pointed out fun and interesting stuff. We did have 2 kind of bad experiences with them... We were here during lobster fest and they told us to show up at 9am for a local reef dive and then when we got there they told us to come back at 1 because the dive masters got drunk and didn't show up. It was nice because they still did the dive for us but it was annoying that we had to come back to do it. The other bad thing we had happened is our dive master was diving without a computer and I was the only one with a computer, so our dive actually became a deco dive and since the dive master wasn't using a computer he didn't have anyone do a deco stop... No one got sick but I was scared for my dive buddy who went up with him instead of staying down with me.

Overall I recommend Frenchies, their DM's are great guys and I had a lot of fun with them as well as had some really great dives.

Your two "negatives" would be pretty normal here with any dive shop staffed by locals. Just part of island life. Ex-pats might have behaved a little differently, but as you say it's no big deal.

I've been on a Blue Hole dive where not only was I the only person with a computer, but most of the guests were using rental gear which didn't have a depth gauge! Only the DMs had those. I didn't like it, but at least everyone survived.

I stopped in at Barefoot and they were more expensive than any other place we had talked to ($80 Belize a night), but for tonight we are staying at Beyond the Sea, the owner is really cool, and the rooms are really cheap. They have private and dorms. (dorms are $18 Belize/night)

Wow...thank you for all of this info. I have been debating about going to Caye Caulker. It sounds like what I am looking for.

Back
Top Bottom