Caye Caulker Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, this is probably too late for the OP, but I just wanted to add my bit about our trip to CC last March ('08). All the accommodations everybody has mentioned so far were way more expensive than the places we stayed, like Ignacio's, or Tom's. Also, I have to mention a couple of great places to eat, the Coco Plum, and the Wish Willy. The Coco Plum was a bit expensive (for us), but the omelettes were the best I've ever had anywhere in my whole life. Oh, yeah, there's another place, but I don't remember the name. It's at the corner of, dang, do any of those streets even have names? Anyway, the main thing I want to say is if you aren't ready to just relax and enjoy the simple life, then go to Ambergris and leave CC alone.

I only went to one dive shop, Frenchie's, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. The Blue Hole was OK, but the other two dives we did that day out on Lighthouse Reef were fantastic. I almost cursed there, but I restrained myself. Jose gave the best dive brief I've ever seen when we went to the Blue Hole. I guess that's something I didn't appreciate the value of until I saw a real good one.

We didn't book ahead, we just showed up on the last boat and walked down the beach until we found a place to stay. That worked OK, but we paid more than we wanted to the first night. If I knew what I know now, well, I guess it wouldn't be much different, but it's not a bad idea to book the first night beforehand.

Is the barrier reef diving in the Caye Caulker area comparable to the diving
along the east coast of Ambergris Caye ? Are the charters in Caye Caulker
more likely to run out to Lighthouse reef than the charters on Ambergris Caye ?

Hi - I just got back from Belize/Cay Caulker a few days ago and enjoyed my diving very much there. However, I would defenitely discourage anyone from chosing Frenchie's dive shop. I had a rather bad experience with them. On my first day, despite the high winds, I went out with Frenchie's and we did two dives in the Spanish Bay area. Both were pleasant (vis was better than I expected and the coral gardens were really nice.) Unfortunately, there was almost no drinking water on board of the small boat - save for a couple of large 1/2 gallon jugs to pass around. This was very unpractical as it is hard to drink from such a large bottle while the boat is rocking heavily, or while moving. Our second dive was a drift dive. Somehow, our divemaster and the captain miscommunicated (?) and the boat was nowhere to be seen at the end of the dive. We lingered for 20-30 minutes in the rough waters (some of our group getting extremely seasick) until a small private boat spotted us and went to look for our captain. No one was very happy about that, for sure. I didn't really get a good general feel from them, either, as they appeared constantly irritated, weren't exactly ready or eager to give out information to customers and didn't seem to care weather you wanted their business or not.
However, I figured from the posts on Scubaboard that they have the best reputation on the island. Thinking that the others might therefore be worse, I booked my trip to the Blue Hole for the next day. I showed up at 7am, as I was instructed to do, but I found the diveshop closed with not a soul around. I waited 1/2 hour, gave up and went back to the hotel. On my way, I stopped at a tour booking agent and told them my ordeal. Well, according to them, Frenchie's is known to do this. They tell people to show up so they won't book with someone else, but if they decide not to go out, they just leave you stranded. Moreover, the time for BH departures is 6.30am - no matter who you dive with - so I suspect the shop attendant who told me to come at 7 already knew that they weren't going to go. Needless to say, I wasn't going to fall for that one twice!

The next day, I went out to the Blue Hole with AquaDiving, an outfit based in San Pedro/Ambergris, which picks up divers early in the morning from Caye Caulker. It was great! We also dived at Half Moon Bay and at the "Aquarium" site (Lighthouse Reef.) All were fantastic! AquaDiving was awesome after the experience with Frenchie's. Their boat is large and comfortable and well set-up with an excellent crew. They had all kinds of food for us, fresh fruit throughout the day, plenty of chilled water (the typicallly Belizean small individual plastic drinking bags) and the lunch was copious and tasty. The crew was relaxed, professional and meticulous, the divemasters helpful and very friendly. I'd defenitely recommend them for a great dive experience!

Further, I recommend Cafe y Amor for bkf - yummie, cheap and cheerful. It's on the "main drag". I also really liked Tropical Paradise restaurant/hotel for cheaper cocktails and great food (the big yellow complex at the south end of the island's central area.)

Have a great time in Belize!
Divacis

Is Cafe y Amor on the main street just north of Frenchies and on the other side? With steps up to the counter area? If so, I want to say that I think it's absolutely superb. I've even taken a boat from Ambergris Caye just to have breakfast there.

YES! I really loved it! Great egg dishes and sandwiches, and cheap in comparison with some places! Their coffee was really good, too.

Belize Dive Service was excellent....they were very honest and charged me a good rate. While doing my PADI course I got seasick and wasn't able to complete one of the dives. They did not charge me anything extra as a result of me having to extend to the next days boat trip to complete the course.

I concur about Amor y Cafe!! My favorite place on the island for breakfast - the coffee WAS the best. just got back from Belize a couple of days ago - I liked the folks at Frenchie's, but had a bad first dive experience and am still not sure if it was my lack of experience, or what (probably, but I also think I needed more supervision than i got, being that it was my first dive since being certified months ago). On the other hand, I had an absolutely FANTASTIC experience doing the whale shark dives with Anne Marie and Avadon Divers during the Placencia part of my stay....more later, still need to catch up on sleep..loved Caye Caulker and Placencia!

Sounds like you had a good time once you got with AD - I'm looking forward to diving with them

Don't worry about reserving your dives in advance if you're not sure when you get there. Most dive shops will be happy to take your reservation in person the day/evening before.
(I agree on the gorgeous cat. Mau! Mau!)

Back
Top Bottom