Caves north of florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Extreme high flow can actually impede an exit. I've seen more than one person get entangled in a line because of it and I know of a few "Delta P" situations that could have been bad (and two were very bad).

My friend Derek and I tried to kill each other in Hart because of high flow and a reel. It was an exciting day.

My friend Derek and I tried to kill each other in Hart because of high flow and a reel. It was an exciting day.
I tried to kill myself in NO flow with a reel... :heart: my zknife, my reel is about 50' shorter now.

In colder water with gloves on (neoprene are pretty annoying, dry gloves are even worse). You pretty much can't feel the line like you expect in N. FL. You also get very disoriented and start to go up and down in the water column potentially pulling on the line with numbing hands that can barely feel the line in the first place.

If you just want to "go for a dive" then TN, IN, KY, etc sump diving is probably not for you. In my area we don't even go diving in most sumps unless it's original exploration or to resurvey the cave.

I feel naked without my drygloves...

Every step of my training past OW has had dives with <3ft of vis.
My trimix class had computer-in-face type vis at 180ft, and we had fun, lol

Attachments

• 5y578o.jpg
    5y578o.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 75
I know its 100% different when you have to unwillingly experience, but yes some of the silt experiences I've had at the bottom of BG were close to no viz like you described. I wish there was a way to simulate such during training though. The only way to be truly prepared is to have experienced it. I mean simulating a lost line with my eyes closed is off in another extreme.

What I DON"T get is how does a team of divers make it to full cave with such horrible buoyancy skills? I KNOW it happens, I've followed some pretty bad people in my 40ish dives post Cave1. Mind you not anyone I was diving with...but other teams.
I have come across a team of 3 people standing in the cave tunnel in orange grove before. My wife and i were in absolute awe. Literally standing in the cave (right around the crack that goes right) talking to each other via wet notes. No emergency. Just chillin having a talk. Not bothered that we came across them like this.
But literally standing in the cave.

Extreme high flow can actually impede an exit. I've seen more than one person get entangled in a line because of it and I know of a few "Delta P" situations that could have been bad (and two were very bad).
Maybe you really are mad at me for my cds comments and getting back at me with tales of my entanglement. :D

I have come across a team of 3 people standing in the cave tunnel in orange grove before. My wife and i were in absolute awe. Literally standing in the cave (right around the crack that goes right) talking to each other via wet notes. No emergency. Just chillin having a talk. Not bothered that we came across them like this.
But literally standing in the cave.
I swear Florida Man was (is?) a cave diver down there. The level of incompetency, ideocracy, and 'hold my beer' is unparalleled anywhere else in the world. The residents of every other state (except maybe parts of southern Alabama) north of FL all the way to the OP in Ohio at least have enough common sense to consider cave and sump diving as "dangerous" and "crazy".

I swear Florida Man was (is?) a cave diver down there.

As a 4th generation Florida Man, my sincere advice to you would be to stay out of the state. We are all nucking futs, have bad judgement, and are out to get you.

Now, hold my beer and keep the bong lit, while I wrestle this gator.:poke:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom