Cavern vs. Cave Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian and Major,

Thank you so much for the info. No, I have no business going to Eagle's Nest with my limited experience. I will enjoy this coming weekend to the point my "buddy" tries to desert me for his expanded experience, then will no longer dive with him. I'll invest in my own equipment (after all, money can be made to purchase stuff, once life is gone it's over for good), and find new buddies that actually care for the people they're diving with (or at least have a sense of responsibility). I see now where a lot of problems we've had previously are due to his self-destructive behavior that had consequences on me due to his inattention and lack of communication.

Very good decision. Good luck with your diving, and continue to be careful in selecting your buddies!

Jupitermermaid, it sounds like your "buddy" will be listed in a accident report some day. I can only pray that his reckless diving behavior dosen't kill his buddy as well. Overhead enviornments are extremely unforgiving, and without proper training a serious accident is a given. Pleast take everyone elses advice and and get as far away from him as possible.

Remember, anyone can swim into a cave but very few know how to swim back out.

Now on a happier note... I'm off to Blue Mountain Beach FLA to dive the Gulf of Mexico and I'll also get in at least one trip up to Morrison!!!! See y'all later.

Brent

Brent,

Thanks for confirming what everyone else has about this "accident waiting to happen" buddy of mine. Enjoy Blue Mountain Beach this weekend, and let us know how it went when you get home.

Sandy

Remind your friend that stupid and reckless acts not only affect him and his family but also the entire diving community at large.

My plan is once I feel uncomfortable to leave a tablet letting him know I surfaced and would meet him when (and if) he was done with his dive.
If you have indeed had a cavern course you would:

1. Know that solo diving is not allowed at that level (you would be diving above your training level)

2. Diving above ones training level is one of the guidelines of accident analysis. To dive above your training level is major contributing factor to death.

My suggestion would be to thumb the dive right now. I wouldn't get near a body of water with someone like your buddy (is buddy even a correct term).

I'm planning on going to Orange Grove (in Peacock Springs) and Little River next weekend with a friend who is certified in cave diving. I have my Cavern certification, and my friend looks at me as a "superwoman" who is capable of doing more than the average person. I'm more cautious and don't like to overstep my boundaries and do something stupid. Is there enough cavern area to dive to make both my "buddy" and I happy diving in these areas without compromising my safety (and certification limitations? I'm not afraid, but I know this person well enough to know I need more information than I have at this point.

Oh boy:shakehead:. Are you in for a lesson on "Cave politics" if you haven't gotten one yet. In the future you'll be much better off asking a local instructor face to face about something like this. Posts like this bring out all the tools of the sport and those tools have no problem ripping you apart while thumping their chests.

As for the Eagle's Nest dive plan, I am searching for the words to adequately describe that plan but coming up woefully short.

keep searching you always seem to find them.

Jupitermaid: read this description of Eagles Nest.

Eagle's Nest

Does your cavern certification and less than 50 lifetime dives sound appropriate to you?

If you stay in the "Cavern area", yes!

People that seem to have this reckless approach are the ones that end up restricting access to places for the rest of us.

Finally! An honest post about cave diving fatalities. I'm so tired of hearing the lies about how concerned everybody is about others lifes when all anybody really cares about is loseing access.

Please post a detailed itinerary of your trip so I can avoid being there when it happens.

I see you found the words, good for you. Can you say "someday I'll post something positive and constructive when confronted with an unexperienced cave diver rather than post sarcasim" I didn't think so.

This was poted:
Jupitermaid: read this description of Eagles Nest.

Eagle's Nest

Does your cavern certification and less than 50 lifetime dives sound appropriate to you?

And then Liftbag says this.
If you stay in the "Cavern area", yes!

Had he read the link provided he would have seen this statement about the Eagles Nest
there is no cavern at this site.

Does anyone else see this is a bit funny considering he is basically telling a cavern diver to go dive Eagles Nest?
Finally! An honest post about cave diving fatalities. I'm so tired of hearing the lies about how concerned everybody is about others lifes when all anybody really cares about is loseing access.

Eagles Nest video
http://www.youtube.com/v/pkrnSwNSSpY

Had he read the link provided he would have seen this statement about the Eagles Nest
there is no cavern at this site.

First, by "definition", which cave "tools" love to use, every cave has a cavern. Unless you dive the site at night.

second, look at any map of eagles nest and tell me what that shaft between the basin and the big open room is. Heres a clue, "CAVERN!" But don't take my word for it.http://www.mejeme.com/dive/images/eagle2.jpg and hey, if thats not enough proof, look at this video speleonet: Eagle's Nest Cave Diving Clip

And yes, I see nothing wrong with cavern divers staying within the cavern zone at Eagles nest. The CAVERN area at Eagles nest happens to be nice when vis is up. Slow down and look next time you dive there. I did.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom