Cavern/Cave Dives, July 31

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fred, are your 80's aluminum?

I tried on a set of Genesis HP120's that i borrowed off of Rick, and they were heavy, not unmanageable, but certainly a little less light. They were about 48# a piece, plus extras. However some tanks are lighter with different alloys, just harder to get hold of :wink:

Its something to check out if you can before you buy, borrow some doubled 104/108's and try some doubled 95/98's you can before shelling out. Although the extra air would be nice, if you cant get it down to the water, what use is it?

H2Andy:
ok... so far Smokeaire, Scubafool, and myself are planning
to make it, though Madeline might make it too.

we will be diving Peacock (need to be cavern or above).

i guess we will meet at the shop outside Peacock, around...
say... 8:30 am? I need to rent a steel 95.

Hvae you called the Dive Outpost and asked about conditions lately? I was up there a few weeks ago and cavern diving at Peacock was not good. Orange Grove Sink was pea soup, but I hear it cleared around 50' in the cavern, but not to really clear. In the open water you will be lucky to find the tree to tie off. In Peacock 1, the basin looked like chocolate milk, but again I hear the vis was better in the cavern but not by much. Peacock 3, vis not great in the open water. Silt turned up at your entry point follows you into the cavern, making your way over there almost no vis, maybe 20-30' vis in the cavern. Peacock 2 was crystal clear, although there is no cavern to dive, just ow.

You may want to try planning a cavern dive at manatee or little river.

i haven't checked conditions recently. need to do that for sure.

it's been raining a whole lot here, though

H2Andy:
fred, are your 80's aluminum?
I don't like Al tanks to much. They weigh more than my steel and I I would never pump them up. The steel LP 80 are rated at 2400 + but the very same tanks are used in Europe and run at higher pressures over there. I think they run them at 4000 psi. The teasting standards are differant. They say if you over preassurize you tanks you will make it so they won't pass hydro quiker. Normal usage you get around 30000 fills and you will cut that down to 10000. I did alot of reseach when I was looking into tanks. I read it somewhere but I don't remember where. I read tons of pages.
I'll see if I can find the links for you after.

that is a great site, fred... thanks for the link

fgray1:
I don't like Al tanks to much. They weigh more than my steel and I I would never pump them up. The steel LP 80 are rated at 2400 + but the very same tanks are used in Europe and run at higher pressures over there. I think they run them at 4000 psi. The teasting standards are differant. They say if you over preassurize you tanks you will make it so they won't pass hydro quiker. Normal usage you get around 30000 fills and you will cut that down to 10000. I did alot of reseach when I was looking into tanks. I read it somewhere but I don't remember where. I read tons of pages.
I'll see if I can find the links for you after.
The problem is trying to find a dive shop that will give you that much fill let alone the measely 10% over cold. I know of a couple of dive shops that will fill my LP95s to 3500 cold giving me 126Cuft. And I have run across a couple that will only fill to 2640.

Chuck

SmokeAire:
The problem is trying to find a dive shop that will give you that much fill let alone the measely 10% over cold. I know of a couple of dive shops that will fill my LP95s to 3500 cold giving me 126Cuft. And I have run across a couple that will only fill to 2640.

Chuck
I fill my own so it's not a problem. If not then I would have to go with HP 100. Theyr'e about the same weigh but are real negative in the water and you have to be careful with doubles.
You can end up being Neg 15 lbs at the end of the dive. If your in open water and not a cave swiming them up could be tough.
Fred

A bump for the benfit of dutchfin, who says he wants to go with us. Anybody checked into the vis situation yet?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom