Cave Fills on LP tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4000 psi on a LP?!? The garage is definitely exploding tonight.

It’s done every single day. No one has blown up yet. This has been going on for at least 20+ years that I’ve been witness

It’s done every single day. No one has blown up yet. This has been going on for at least 20+ years that I’ve been witness
I only take mine to 3900 or so, NEVER to 4000. My garage is safe.

I only take mine to 3900 or so, NEVER to 4000. My garage is safe.

I lost my garage in the great flood of 2017. I haven’t rebuilt it yet. Filled it with 5’ of water. So... currently all my tanks are in my dining room. I hope my dining room is safe. :)

I know. I was being sarcastic

I know. Me too.
See the “great flood of 2017”. It was actually a hurricane. :)

Any guesses to how old this o2 bottle is and still passes? I dont think they build them this way any more..
20180718_103046.jpg

It took me a bit to get around to digging this up and I don't think the original text from OMS is anywhere to be found on the internet. Maybe someone on here has a hard copy of the old catalogs?

From the "Oxygen Hacker's Companion":

"OMS, which sells Faber LP steel tanks, notes in their catalog that the tanks are rated for 2640 psi (2400 psi Plus the "+", 180 bar), the test pressure is 4000 psi (275 bar), the minimum burst pressure in excess of 6400 psi (440 bar) - and then casually mentions that Faber rates the tank for 10,000 fill cycles at 4000 psi (274 bar)! That's the equivalent of hydro tasting the tank every day for 30 years."

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom