Cave fills in South Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave22387

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey guys, I used to manage a dive shop in upstate NY and I would routinely pump up my LP Fabers to 3k or more depending on the dive. I now live in South Florida and all the standard local shops have a stroke if I ask for 3k... I really like my 108s but if I can't get them pumped up past 2400/2640 I fear I may have to get different tanks. (Air hog here) Does anyone know where I can get a good high fill around the pompano area? Thanks in advance.

Note: don't lecture me on overfilling Fabers, everyone does it and it's perfectly fine so I don't want to hear it haha.

Don't even try. You're going to get lectured by a DM trainee with less than 50 dives under his belt on the perils of overfilling and how doing so will not only give you cancer but will probably cause a singularity and doom all of humanity to eternal darkness. Ask me how I know.

In all actuality it'd probably be less energy, hassle, and effort to invest in your own compressor.

Isn't going to happen until you become REAL good friends with the shop owner. By real good, I mean,
In all actuality it'd probably be less energy, hassle, and effort to invest in your own compressor.

Edit. I just bought my own compressor.

Watching thread for results with not much optimism.

I'm just 2 counties North and get it done regularly at my lds....as well as my fleet of old timey lp72's.

I have gotten 2800 out of Gold Coast before.

Have you tried Pompano Dive Center? I would say that is the most probable place as they are very tech friendly. My buddy routinely has his LP50s pumped to 3500. I don't know where he gets them done, I'll have to ask.

I've gotten 3200's on my Worthington lp108 tanks at Force-E before. That's not too far from you. However, it wasn't a situation where I specially requested the good fill and it's not really what I normally consider a cave fill. I suspect the guy filling the tank didn't even bother to check the pressure rating on the tanks and filled them as if they were al80's.

I feel your pain. In the keys it's even worse, I have actually paid money for fills as light as 2700. It really gets my goat to shell out the cash for such a wimpy fill. Tank fills suck in that area; I've almost always had to go specially hunt just for nitrox in that part of the world rather than the operator I'm diving with filling them. So if something as simple as nitrox is an issue, you can extrapolate what that mans for solid fills. If I ever moved down that way, I'd definitely buy a compressor... there just aren't any good alternatives that I know of.

@dave22387 :
A (former) scubastore manager with thousands of dives who is an airhog???
Oh, thank you so much for posting this little detail. My, by airmisers supressed, scuba-self-worth-perception just took a noticeable leap upward.
:)
Sorry, I am of no help to your inquiry, but, thanks for above reason/s...

@dave22387 :
A (former) scubastore manager with thousands of dives who is an airhog???
Oh, thank you so much for posting this little detail. My, by airmisers supressed, scuba-self-worth-perception just took a noticeable leap upward.
:)
Sorry, I am of no help to your inquiry, but, thanks for above reason/s...
6,000+ dives, and I'm always the first guy out of gas. Owned a liveaboard for 20 years. Now, I will usually reach NDL before I run out of gas, so I don't worry about it, but 325 lbs and a 9 liter lung volume means I have to push hard....

I've gotten 3200's on my Worthington lp108 tanks at Force-E before. That's not too far from you. However, it wasn't a situation where I specially requested the good fill and it's not really what I normally consider a cave fill. I suspect the guy filling the tank didn't even bother to check the pressure rating on the tanks and filled them as if they were al80's.

I feel your pain. In the keys it's even worse, I have actually paid money for fills as light as 2700. It really gets my goat to shell out the cash for such a wimpy fill. Tank fills suck in that area; I've almost always had to go specially hunt just for nitrox in that part of the world rather than the operator I'm diving with filling them. So if something as simple as nitrox is an issue, you can extrapolate what that mans for solid fills. If I ever moved down that way, I'd definitely buy a compressor... there just aren't any good alternatives that I know of.
Force E will do 2800, I talked to them yesterday because I used to be able to get 3k out of them but they said the recently stopped.

@Schwob ya I've just accepted it... No matter what I do I just sit at .7 it is what it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom