Cave diver drowns - Jackson Blue Springs, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am still curious why the person who drowned had 1 tank with 2400psi in it.

For those that know where he was stuck, is it possible to survive on 2400psi until the buddy makes a round trip to bring more gas?
He was on a closed circuit rebreather. Diluent consumption at rest is zero, he would only require the O2 he metabolizes, which is not all that much. His O2 should have lasted for many hours, the scrubber in the CCR being the limiting factor. Most likely, had he been able to remain on the CCR, he would have been fine for hours.
If he bailed out to OC, the 2400psi in a LP80 would have lasted for quite a bit longer too, probably long enough for help to arrive.
I wouldn't rule out that he panicked under the pressure of being stuck and drowned as a result.

If a counterlung design lends itself to being compressed from cave contact rendering the rebreather useless, that’s an issue.

Additionally, if dives are taking less full tanks (2400psi vs 3600) for “comfort” that’s a practice that needs scrutiny too.
LP steels (victim had LP 85's) are rated at 2400psi, so they are full, not overfilling them is NOT a problem nor a practice that "needs scrutiny" .. Just saying
The counterlung design doesn't lend itself to being compressed, where is lays on back is the curve of back, the top of back (or butt if backing out) are higher when horizontal

That's a thing? 😕
no, that is not "a thing", LP steel tanks in states are rated at 2400 psi and they are full, yeah many of us pump them to 3500 or so but that is technically beyond rated limits. Steel tanks in good shape tend to be forgiving of that Aluminum are NOT at all (never overfill alm tanks).

LP steels (victim had LP 85's) are rated at 2400psi, so they are full, not overfilling them is NOT a problem nor a practice that "needs scrutiny" .. Just saying
The counterlung design doesn't lend itself to being compressed, where is lays on back is the curve of back, the top of back (or butt if backing out) are higher when horizontal
It’s the standard to fill them to 36. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

What forced the bailout then?

It’s the standard to fill them to 36. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

Having given it some thought, I don't believe that anyone can answer that with certainty. Of the things I have considered, the counterlung being unable to work is possible but unlikely based on my experience. I "think" that exertion/stress increasing breathing rate making it very uncomfortable for the diver is more likely and thus BO. I could be wrong however, and if more information comes along 100% willing to change what I think is likely.
To "standard" is fill them to 3600, only in a small area of the world.. LOL. Overfill to 3600 or fill to rated 2400, doesn't matter as long as gas planning is done to the dive plan. Nothing I have heard tells me it wasn't done. If we planned to get stuck for "time unknown" there is no gas planning/bringing that would work and we wouldn't cave dive

A pinched counterlung maybe?
Sounds like a possibility if he was stuck in a low restriction because the bladder is right between the body and the ceiling and with the wing pushing down on it.
Or maybe he had an excess RMV due to the stress and just felt more comfortable bailing out to OC?

A pinched counterlung maybe?
Sounds like a possibility if he was stuck in a low restriction because the bladder is right between the body and the ceiling and with the wing pushing down on it.
Or maybe he had an excess RMV due to the stress and just felt more comfortable bailing out to OC?
It's really, really hard to get in a spot where your chest(going forward) or butt (going backwards) has passed that the small of back where counterlung is doesn't give it enough space room to work fine.. I have tried. Now, if diver is jammed in tight and while trying to get free you accidently hit your inflator and fill your BCD bladder (I wanna say wing, but most SM rigs are BCD;s) in a tight spot, I CAN see that displacing the room for your counterlung to work, forcing a BO. (that will also push you pretty hard into the rock and make chest expansion a PITA as well, again , been there) I have inflated my BCD while going thru tight spots grinding when the inflator button gets pushed into something hard. It's one reason I dislike the XDeep and dive a K2, in tight spots I may not be able to get to the dump on a XDeep, I am almost always going to be able to get to the dump on a K2

That is what I think is most likely

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom