Cave diver drowns - Jackson Blue Springs, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not a trick question, I would actually like to know?
I have learned so much from my time here on ScubaBoard that it would be impossible to isolate it to one or two things. I don't think that I'm alone in that assessment. I've learned different approaches to various issues that arise, I'm reminded of my own mortality, and quite often I learn who I would not want to meet or dive with.

Really? There was a very long thread (full of people who never cave dived) about the Roaring River accident. Can you tell me what you have learned from that or from some other accident thread? Anything specific and anything you couldn't have learned from x other accidents and reports we've had in the past?
It's not a trick question, I would actually like to know?
The forum is not only for experienced divers.

Inexperienced divers could learn a lot from these types of threads, like the ones who never cave-dived at the time of the thread but were going to start it soon, or others who were at the early phase of their cave-diving path, etc. It may even be the first thread about an accident some of them were reading.

That said, some ideas could even be useful for people with a lot of experience - information exchange is always helpful, even when there is no learning.

Allegedly on CCR, bailed out, one tank empty, another with 2400psi.
I would like everyone to remember that the Internet is not fact. And grace should be extended to all parties involved and speculation only hurts the family any post with speculation in it like I heard this or allegedly there show your class and please remove this post.

I would like everyone to remember that the Internet is not fact. And grace should be extended to all parties involved and speculation only hurts the family any post with speculation in it like I heard this or allegedly there show your class and please remove this post.
the post in question by @PfcAJ is correct

The deceased was a DAN medic and the surviving team member was a member of the Risk Mitigation team at DAN.
This helps no one at this time request grace and ask you delete thread

There is a FB DAN memorial post. I will try to link…

It is with heavy hearts that we report the death of DAN medic Ben Strelnick. Ben passed away while cave diving on Friday. He began working in DAN Medical Services in 2021, combining his love of outdoor recreation with his passion for emergency medicine. Ben was a shining light here at DAN and a friend to many. He wrote insightful articles and offered compassion and a friendly voice to those who called the Emergency Hotline. Ben had an adventurous spirit, and in addition to diving loved mountain biking, winter sports, rock climbing, and riding his motorcycle. He will be missed.

IMG_1269.jpeg

I have learned so much from my time here on ScubaBoard that it would be impossible to isolate it to one or two things. I don't think that I'm alone in that assessment. I've learned different approaches to various issues that arise, I'm reminded of my own mortality, and quite often I learn who I would not want to meet or dive with.
I have posted essentially the same sentiment many times here. I would consider this forum the single most impressionable thing that has made me (i hope at least) a safer, more conservative, and more conscientious diver.

This helps no one at this time request grace and ask you delete thread
No. Almost every tech and cave diver I know, myself included, want our untimely death on Scuba or Rebreather to be dissected ad nauseum so that others might learn something from our mistakes. None of us want our death to be completely useless. If this upsets you, please don't read our posts. In many ways this is our way of grieving the passing of a kindred soul.

Back
Top Bottom