Cave Dive yes Overhead ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I give up. Everyone do whatever you want.

In less than three years in the sport Ive met and spoken with about a half dozen people in cave diving face to face who later ended up drowned, dead.
Hmm..... don't talk to me when I see you..... there is a trend there...:wink:

All but one of them because they thought the rules didn't apply to them. I don't see the trend ending any time soon.
But you are right, most cave deaths can be traced back to breaking at least one of the basic rules. There is a risk with that. Some get away with it, others don't

But you are right, most cave deaths can be traced back to breaking at least one of the basic rules. There is a risk with that. Some get away with it, others don't
Most??? :shocked2:

All but one can be attributed to breaking one of six rules, 90% of those broke Rule #1, which is what all of these "pro" posts have been advocating the OP do.

Yeah, I noticed the chart. I noticed the title of it said cave. I noticed that once you go under the first section you're under rock and underwater and you can only change one of those the further you go in. I noticed that if you have a "paniced" ascent, there's a decent chance you'll hit rock first. I noticed that if the chart is drawn to any sort of scale, you probably can't free dive out. I noticed that it is referred to as a cave seven more times in the description. I noticed that there's a halocline present.

I've done a few dives with rock over my head and I knew then and still know that I learned skills in my cave diving courses that would have saved my ass if the **** hit the fan, like, I dunno, having 6-8 numbnuts with me.

Doc, how good is your recollection of the cave that you dove 25 years ago? What was your training level and how many dives did you have at that time?

I've never been there, I'm just a lowly Wakulla awarded Full Cave Diver. What would I know!!!

Oh come on now Ben, there are air pockets there, so technically it is not a cave. A lowly Wakulla awarded diver like yourself should know that you can not get hurt there?

Don't get riled, Ben, ...the way you were talking I thought you'd maybe been there.

Chandalier is one of many attractions of Palau, which - as a destination for a lot of divers from all over the Pacific (and the world) has quite a few dive boats. Sites like the Blue Corner, the Blue Hole, Jellyfish Lake (which actually involves an overland hike), etc. often have boats pulling up as others leave, and a number of boats at each site, etc. It can get sort of crowded from time to time.

I'm sure that RikRaeder by now has the answer (in spades) to his original question. The dive industry on Palau has been developing for around 30 years or more, and by now its pretty synchronized. They've unfortunately lost divers there due to a number of reasons at some of the open water sites, but I'm not familiar with any deaths at Chandalier over the past 30 years (although there certainly could have been some).

If you go there, by all means dive it any way you'd like. Or don't, if thats your personal protocol.

It may be a tad crowded with a bunch of open water tourist divers in there, because the other dive operators are still going to be pulling up behind your dive boat, but if you want to run a reel in there I don't think anyone will stop you.

(Of course, after Wakulla its not likely to impress you much, but Palau is Palau - it is its own environment.)

Dive safe,

Doc

There's an interesting trend surfacing here... I recognize it :)
The grandparents among us most likely understand it...
Rick

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom